Author Topic: Obesity Epidemic  (Read 2236 times)

StephenM123

Re: Obesity Epidemic
« Reply #30 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
Indeed I think a book was mentioned. What surprised me recently was to see a mother feeding her offspring donuts and coke before school in a café - not really the start they need. My partners friend works in one and she says she is staggered by the number of children who eat things like cake and sausage rolls before school, at lunchtimes and after school. She also wonders where the money comes from!

Coastal

« Reply #31 on: Oct 13, 2017, 11:22:09 AM »
Preparing a meal for one can seem a waste of time and a lot of effort, unfortunately there are too many easy options out there, it's also too easy to criticise those who do, I have been guilty in the past of eating too many takeaways, and too much junk, basically anything quick and easy, (not to mention an excessive alcohol intake) but as I bought bigger and bigger clothes there was one hoodie top that was too big, and I realised it was getting a better fit so I decided  enough was enough,

I bought a set of scales and googled how many calories to loose two pounds a week, (this is reset every month as I loose weight) I am not claiming that I now eat much healthier, just a fair bit less, I still have the odd biscuit, and even ice lolly, and I still have a drink 3 or 4 times a week (again, less of it)

So although I didn't exactly choose to gain weight, it was an option not to which I have now exercised, I have in the last 12 weeks lost 33lbs, I know it's not going to get any easier, because when I recalculate my required calorie intake, it reduces every month, but so far so good, and as long as it's the little naughties that I reduce and not the essentials I should be okay.

Sorry for going on a bit  ;D
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Grumpyfrog

« Reply #32 on: Oct 13, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
Why do they make all things that are bad for you, so bloody tasty?
I have discovered that I am the same age as old people

zoony

« Reply #33 on: Oct 13, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
"So although I didn't exactly choose to gain weight, it was an option not to which I have now exercised, I have in the last 12 weeks lost 33lbs, I know it's not going to get any easier, because when I recalculate my required calorie intake, it reduces every month, but so far so good, and as long as it's the little naughties that I reduce and not the essentials I should be okay..."

Good for you Coastal, you're a determined person. I managed to lose 4 stone and drop a waist size for each stone but it wasn't really my choice! So well done you.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #34 on: Oct 13, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »
Go into any supermarket and what's "on offer", it's nearly always sweets, chocolates, ice cream, biscuits, pop, alcohol etc etc, basically all the calorie loaded non essentials, when they label food with the nutritional values it should be for the entire contents (except multi packs)
I spotted a bag of popcorn in Tesco, Toffee Nut Latte, 170g
The calorific value shown was for one seventh of the bag 24g at 111kcal so that's 777kcal per bag and it wasn't that big.
I'm always opening things and eating one seventh of the contents  ;D (hence the diet)

minniemouse

« Reply #35 on: Oct 13, 2017, 06:05:36 PM »
You've done really well Coastal.  You deserve to feel proud of yourself.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Scrumpy

« Reply #36 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »
Well done Coastal...
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

GrannyMac

« Reply #37 on: Oct 14, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
And another well done from me! I've always found it much easier to put on than to lose!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alex22

« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
Well done Coastal, that's quite an achievement in 12 weeks   

Coastal

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Thank you all,
As I've said before I think this is the easy part, It's much easier to loose weight when you are at your heaviest, but as time goes on and my daily calorie requirement reduces, it's going to get harder, I don't mean harder for me to stick to, but just for my body to lose the pounds,
And I swear that the confectionery isle in Tesco is getting bigger (along with the cake section) I just look away now and try to ignore them, it's my birthday in a month so I might have a treat if I can find a cake that comes in a packet on it's own, (because I won't buy loose or pick & mix cakes)
I have a fair way to go yet before I get where I want to be, but I am happy with what I am eating, or should I say the amount that I am allowed to eat (so far) and  only time will tell 

crabbyob

« Reply #40 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »
it is often better to travel in hope than to arrive
you are doing very well, as you know the problem is keeping it off
after a lifetime of grazing
i have always said the first exercise is pushing the plate away before its empty
so i buy bigger plates... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Coastal

« Reply #41 on: Oct 15, 2017, 11:38:49 PM »
Well according to the calorie calculator that I'm using, to lose two pounds a week the calorie allowance is 1000 cals daily less, than to maintain your weight, (500 cals per pound) as time goes on my calorie allowance reduces, and I will probably at some point have to switch to one pound a week,
When I do eventually knock the diet on the head, I have no intention of going back to my old ways, for a while I will even keep the records as I do now (I currently record EVERYTHING that I eat and drink and their calorific values)   

minniemouse

« Reply #42 on: Oct 16, 2017, 03:28:19 PM »
I had a few bananas that were very over-ripe.  Not liking waste I made a banana loaf.  I ate a couple of slices and then felt guilty because there was a lot of sugar/fat in the making of it, so I threw it away! :-[

crabbyob

« Reply #43 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
no dear, no throwing away, consider the calories you burned making the cake..
by all means abstain but dont just throw it away, think of us starving in India, a food parcel might be welcome...lol...
you are a reasoned human being, just follow your instincts, feeling guilty is not reasoned its instilled...we do deserve wee treats, if you can look yourself in the eye in the mirror then you are fine, no need to march to someone elses tune... i wouldnt want you fading away to a shadow before i have even met you.... ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #44 on: Oct 16, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »
Was nearly tempted to have a rummage in the bin.  ;D ;D