Author Topic: Obesity Epidemic  (Read 2234 times)

Traveller

Re: Obesity Epidemic
« Reply #45 on: Oct 16, 2017, 06:38:03 PM »
I love banana bread - especially banana & honey bread.  Both freeze very well, so if we get a load of ripe bananas cheap, Mrs.T makes several loaves and freezes them.  So, the next time you make banana bread,  don't dump it - freeze it - or feed it to the Minnions.
You'll have had your tea.

crabbyob

« Reply #46 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:44:40 PM »
one of the best slimming tips is
eat half an unsweetened grapefruit before your main meal
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #47 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12:06:11 AM »
Except if you're taking statins.!
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Traveller

« Reply #48 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »
That only applies to Simvastatin.  According to the NHS, Grapefruit is fine with other ones.

Eating something extra before your main meal seems a strange way to lose weight.  I seem to recall that many years ago there was a 'Grapefruit diet' fad.  But a fad was all it was.
You'll have had your tea.

Phil

« Reply #49 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
The only guaranteed way to lose weight consistently is to use more calories than you take in I would have thought.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

crabbyob

« Reply #50 on: Oct 18, 2017, 02:22:49 AM »
when i stopped smoking i piled the weight on, the only thing i had that fitted was my ties.. ;D ... i ate half an unsweetened grapefruit before meals and lost seven pounds in just over twenty days
the theory is the acidity of the grapefruit coats your stomach so no fat is absorbed, i cannot say if this isa fact but it helped me into my jeans... ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #51 on: Oct 18, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »
I tried the grapefruit diet and it did work at first, I think it was due to carrying the grapefruits about, but I found not using milk was more effective. I reckon it depends on the individual.

minniemouse

« Reply #52 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »
Because of having stomach ulcers in the past I would be wary of the grapefruit diet.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #53 on: Oct 19, 2017, 06:51:13 PM »
I wonder if there is any food that isn't a 'can't eat' food for someone?  Banana bread is a lovely way to use up ripe bananas but I can't eat bananas now.  It's boring to keep talking about 'can't' where food is concerned so didn't say anything and then, low and behold, grapefruit gets the treatment.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

StephenM123

« Reply #54 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:42:51 PM »

That only applies to Simvastatin.  According to the NHS, Grapefruit is fine with other ones.

Also to Simvastatin. There are a number of drugs that have a bad interaction with grapefruit. Always read the inserts, follow the guidelines and ask your GP if in doubt! Remember if you blow your liver or kidneys you can't go back!

Coastal

« Reply #55 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
Simvastatin, that's the one I'm on, it's annoying because that's the one fruit I really like, but the nearest I ever get is the very occasional bottle of Tesco Breakfast Juice which is Clementine, Orange and (only 10%) Grapefruit Juice but as a 250ml glass is about 115 calories, I have it even less often now.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......