Author Topic: Hollywood Knives  (Read 5083 times)

zoony

Re: Hollywood Knives
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
Yes. It's sad and perhaps it's cause is linked to the relatively small number of voices one hears here or the relatively small input of differing opinions but it is what it is and it feels comfortable to me, as I am what I am. QI that you would continue to post here given your feelings but I think I get it. Which isn't intended to be an opaque comment... I hope you understand.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
I'm not feeling sad about it zoony.  As I said early on I came on here for a purpose.  As so often happens when you are very open to trying to understand something in particular lots of things have come together in the last few days which have given me an insight into why a really nice person coming on here could feel as threatened as Milo did - and as exasperated - that she felt she had to leave. 

You yourself  have helped by explaining why you voted Brexit, as have Bazzerpontefract and Mike with their recent comments about university courses (although that has been re-run a couple of times before my light-bulb moment) and Phil has certainly helped, lastly with his comment on the obesity thread.  David Owen helped too.  I was listening to him yesterday - if you remember he was the youngest Foreign Secretary way back when and had and has such an incisive brain so I was happy to hear he was being interviewed.  He was asked a few things which interested me but the thing that leans on my quest to understand what is happening on here was where he saw the centre of politics these days. When asked he replied - well Brexit is the centre.  I had to do quite a bit of thinking about that but it was like the cog that makes everything else fall into place. 

So, I am feeling I have a bit more thinking to do about the relevance of what I have concluded but I can see why this group is as it is rather more than I could - so no sadness and, although, to some extent, I will stop banging my head against this particular brick wall. I can almost guarantee some of the comments that will be made about this post - it will be interesting to see if I am right :) 
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Phil

« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:26:47 AM »
I'd never heard of him until the latest news.

While not condoning his actions, I wonder if any young actresses have ever initiated 'things' in order to get on the ladder.

It would be interesting to hear from film producers who've had the offers made & by who they were made.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

firenze

« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
Why would you be surprised Up, people are not from a Mould and react or don't,each of us have a personality and either show it as it is or just pretend.
    From earliest times humans have tried to put others or themselves in a particular bag - I expect Astrology was an attempt.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
I'm not sure what you think I was surprised about Firenze.  If you could let me know I would be happy to reply - otherwise a bit stuck, sorry.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

stellamaris

« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
I couldn't quite get to understanding your post UP.  It does sound [to me] as though you are grieving for Milo and trying to get partly through it on this forum.  I am sorry for your loss, and I don't mean that in the trite way that phrase may sound.

I came on because you mentioned David Owen and am I right in thinking you have said he has helped you to rationalize some things.    David Owen is the closest I have ever come to hero worship. He is the sanest, most reasonable politician I have ever heard.  I still think this even though he is a dreaded [but most noble] Lord.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Phil

« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
I couldn't quite get to understanding your post UP.  It does sound [to me] as though you are grieving for Milo and trying to get partly through it on this forum.  I am sorry for your loss, and I don't mean that in the trite way that phrase may sound.

I came on because you mentioned David Owen and am I right in thinking you have said he has helped you to rationalize some things.    David Owen is the closest I have ever come to hero worship. He is the sanest, most reasonable politician I have ever heard.  I still think this even though he is a dreaded [but most noble] Lord.

His predatory Spitting Image character with David Steel was hilarious.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

StephenM123

« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
I will wait and see on this one. Post "Saville" a lot of allegations were thrown around but individuals such as William Roache and Cliff Richard were found innocent. I think there is a lot of jumping on the bandwagon or looking for easy money (compensation).

When I went to gigs from the mid-sixties a lot of young women were literally throwing themselves as the performers. Whilst old men now they were often teenagers back then which paints a different picture!

stellamaris

« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »
I remember it well Phil. ;D   Poor, old David Steel who I liked.  Luckily he had a sense of humour about it, but it did influence people I think.  There was also a long running bit about Ronald Reagan with the phrase "The President's brain is missing".  It would have fit well with Donald Trump.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

StephenM123

« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
I remember it well Phil. ;D   Poor, old David Steel who I liked.  Luckily he had a sense of humour about it, but it did influence people I think.  There was also a long running bit about Ronald Reagan with the phrase "The President's brain is missing".  It would have fit well with Donald Trump.

Maybe there is a presidential brain share scheme and somebody has not returned it!   ;D ;D ;D

Phil

« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »
I will wait and see on this one. Post "Saville" a lot of allegations were thrown around but individuals such as William Roache and Cliff Richard were found innocent. I think there is a lot of jumping on the bandwagon or looking for easy money (compensation).

When I went to gigs from the mid-sixties a lot of young women were literally throwing themselves as the performers. Whilst old men now they were often teenagers back then which paints a different picture!

A very valid comment.

It's hard to be a dirty old man at at 21-yrs-of-age.

When doing prosecution work you'd be amazed at the number of women who'd suggest the possibility of their offence being overlooked.

minniemouse

« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2017, 03:43:55 PM »
I don't think there is any excuse for his behaviour.  Because of his position he used his power and influence to be abusive towards women, knowing full well it would be his word against theirs.  The same as teachers, just because a pupil has a crush on you doesn't give you the right to take advantage of the situation.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
Have moved this post - a reply to stellamaris' earlier post - to it's own topic.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »

I don't think there is any excuse for his behaviour.  Because of his position he used his power and influence to be abusive towards women, knowing full well it would be his word against theirs.  The same as teachers, just because a pupil has a crush on you doesn't give you the right to take advantage of the situation.

Good post MM.  I couldn't agree more.

Scrumpy

« Reply #29 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:45:24 PM »

They seem to think that they are 'untouchable' because of the powerful
position they hold.
Unfortunately there are people with stars in their eyes and will do anything to jump on the ladder of fame .
The 'studio couch' has been sitting in a lot of (offices) for many years .  
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.