Author Topic: It's strange...  (Read 469 times)

zoony

It's strange...
« on: Oct 15, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
I've been back in the house I grew up in for 20yrs or so now and despite being updated and improved, a bit  like Trigger's broom, it's still the house I remember except that some of the light switches were moved and I'm damned if I can get that into my head! I still feel for the switches that were there before when it's dark. It's almost as if it's instinctive. Does anybody else do the same or similar?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

Re: It's strange...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
I get a new house every 6 months. Either moving into this one for winter or to the caravan for summer. At the start I can never go to the correct cupboard or find the correct switch if there are two. One house switch has 3 and I've never mastered that as it isn't one that's often used.

Count yourself lucky - at least your bathroom doesn't move around and with a half asleep night time sortie that can be very confusing.

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
fortyone, Get yourself an Amazon Echo, you can take it with you to each home, sit up in bed and just  say " turn the bloody light one "  ;D ;D ;D

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
My son..(luvely boy) thought I would like dimmer switches for the hall..landing and stairs..
It is a total c*ck up .. I find myself flicking switches on downstairs.. Running upstairs to turn them off or down..
Turning lights on upstairs going downstairs to turn them off and visa versa.
It took me ages to get it sorted to a point that I could understand.. Then a visitor throws a switch and it all
starts all over again.. 
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alfred

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »
although i haven't got any dimmer switches in my house ,im sure its nice to have one say in the lounge when watching the t.v or dvds, how ever i couldn't imagine having one in the loo as if caught out in an emergency  in the middle of the night you would need to have cats eyes to ensure getting to the right place in time,

fortyone

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »
fortyone, Get yourself an Amazon Echo, you can take it with you to each home, sit up in bed and just  say " turn the bloody light one "  ;D ;D ;D
Google probably already know every time I take a dump so I don't want Amazon knowing too.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
Google probably already know every time I take a dump so I don't want Amazon knowing too.

But you could have a bog roll repeat order set up with Amazon's subscribe & save feature, triggered by usage.

Amazon only know when you have a dump.

Google know when & where.

P.S. Anyway Amazon's subscribe & save facility & Alexa knowing when I have a dump is the least of my concerns.

;D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_n_9?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A423139031%2Cn%3A65801031%2Cn%3A%2166280031%2Cn%3A2758315031&bbn=423139031&ie=UTF8&qid=1508232567&rnid=423139031
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Phil

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
My son..(luvely boy) thought I would like dimmer switches for the hall..landing and stairs..
It is a total c*ck up .. I find myself flicking switches on downstairs.. Running upstairs to turn them off or down..
Turning lights on upstairs going downstairs to turn them off and visa versa.
It took me ages to get it sorted to a point that I could understand.. Then a visitor throws a switch and it all
starts all over again..

I fitted 'follow me' lighting in our hall stairs & landing.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »

I used to be a cinema usherette with a torch.. That was 'Follow me' lighting. Back then.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Alfred

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
With today modern technology im amazed that a speaking toilet seat hasnt been invented yet, ?? where by in the case of having to sit down .............the  seat will shout  out  i hope you remembered  to buy some more toilet rolls as this one is about to run out, ????????????????

zoony

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
The Japanese are the world leaders in toilet technology Alfred, they even have one that is in a suitcase so you can travel with your own facilities! I'm sure some of their's already speak.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alex22

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2017, 03:03:59 PM »
I bought one of those movement activated LED lights for the top of the stairs, it was only a fiver from Aldi or Lidl, I can't remember which.  It's very useful though - now I'm used to it   :)   The first time I got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night the thing frit the life out of me when it came on, it was like bliddy Colditz !

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:16:03 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”