Author Topic: Philip Pullman  (Read 1164 times)

Undercover Pensioner

Philip Pullman
« on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:51:57 PM »
There is no reading board on hobbies - or have I missed it?  Anyway, for Philip Pullman fans.  Next Saturday at 4.00 p.m. La Bell Sauvage, the first volume of a new trilogy by PP is being read.  The Beeb's blurb mentions Malcolm Polstead and his daemon so it sounds as if we are in the same world as His Dark Materials.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

Re: Philip Pullman
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »
i remember listening to 'Dick Barton' special agent
i hardly listen to radio, i used to listen to radio two
but several years ago my son [an engineer] changed the battery in my car ready for my returning to the fold, but he forgot about the radio, so i have had no radio for years... i'm changing my car next year so who knows, do they still have radio two?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Phil

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »
i remember listening to 'Dick Barton' special agent
i hardly listen to radio, i used to listen to radio two
but several years ago my son [an engineer] changed the battery in my car ready for my returning to the fold, but he forgot about the radio, so i have had no radio for years... i'm changing my car next year so who knows, do they still have radio two?

What make & model of car is it?
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

zoony

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:04:20 AM »
How long were you inside Crabby?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2017, 12:23:25 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D  RAOTFL
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Ashy

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
I had that trouble, my car battery failed and I put a new one in but the radio required a code, the car was second hand and I didn't know what the code was, so I bought a new one.

Alfred

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »

Hello Ashy,

A  few years back my son had the same problem you had . luckily enough here in Essex he found a
shop which could actually trace the radio,s number, as they, according to my son had a device which plugged into the radio and it began to scan until the right number came up ,  after a short while it packed up completely,and he didn't bother with the radio , and much later bought another car, that had a radio in it,

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
His Dark Materials - just an anti-catholic rant. 
If Pullman had written a similar allegory about Islam, he'd be locked up and the keys would be thrown away, and there'd have been a Fatwa against him too.
I've no time for Catholicism nor Islam, but to write three volumes of what is essentially a rework of Pilgrim's Progress - well, just don't take it seriously.  And yes, I was foolish enough to stick with the trilogy for two and three quarter volumes, until it dawned what a pretentious scholarly load of rubbish it is.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
There is no reading board on hobbies - or have I missed it?  Anyway, for Philip Pullman fans.  Next Saturday at 4.00 p.m. La Bell Sauvage, the first volume of a new trilogy by PP is being read.  The Beeb's blurb mentions Malcolm Polstead and his daemon so it sounds as if we are in the same world as His Dark Materials.
La Belle Sauvage, surement. 

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
I'm pleased to say that my new car radio was a considerable upgrade from the original one (from cassette to CD and memory stick) and it only cost £50 in  Maplins, but after a few years it was probably worth more than the car.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
Probably not going to listen then Bazzer😞
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:21:18 AM »
Just out of interest BazzerPontefract do you avoid all books that may be talking about a type of religion?  Did you read the Handmaid's Tale for instance?  I found it fascinating that, although it had a lot to say in the 80s when it was published it now seems to be even more relevant when it talks about using a fundamentalist religion (in this case based on fundamentalist Christianity in the USA) to control a state.  I would not want to miss it just because someone like you might be offended I'm afraid.  I assume you would also exclude Brighton Rock, The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter and The End of the Affair by Graham Greene because of offended Catholicism.  It must make for quite a limited reading list.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
Just out of interest BazzerPontefract do you avoid all books that may be talking about a type of religion?  Did you read the Handmaid's Tale for instance.  I found it fascinating that, although it had a lot to say in the 80s when it was published it now seems to be even more relevant when it talks about using a fundamentalist religion (in this case based on fundamentalist Christianity in the USA) to control a state.  I would not want to miss it just because someone like you might be offended I'm afraid.  I assume you would also exclude Brighton Rock, The Power and the Glory, The Heart of the Matter and The End of the Affair by Graham Greene because of offended Catholicism.  It must make for quite a limited reading list.
You're mistaken.
a) I don't avoid books.  I simply read them until they bore me, or I see their flaws - which is the case with Pullman, Rushdie.  For the most part, I finish books.
b) I did not read Handmaid's Tale, but I did watch the series.   I fail to see any connection between contemporary American Politics and Margaret Attwood's science fiction, which has greater affinity to the apolitical works of John Wyndham. 
c) Perhaps you can better explain the neurosis of Left wing thinking that conflates Trump with fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths, especially as a significant number of these fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths prohibit voting.   I suspect your paranoia, and the Left's paranoia in general, would like to characterise the democratic, economic and cultural failures of the Left, as a failure of, what you see as, superstitious and ignorant faith groups to fully accept the Left wing message.  That they reject the Left wing message is beyond doubt, but that they affect american political outcomes is far from the truth.
d) I recommend you re-read the works of Graham Greene because you appear to have missed the point about Greene's Catholicism.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »

"Perhaps you can better explain the neurosis of Left wing thinking that conflates Trump with fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths, especially as a significant number of these fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths prohibit voting."

I've no idea Bazzer.  You would have to ask a left-wing thinker who felt like that.  I think as you find 'polite' so difficult you may not get a reply.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
U.P. may i welcome you to our forum... ;D
you seem to have dumbed down a little which makes you a lot more readable
for the likes of me... thank you
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”