Author Topic: Philip Pullman  (Read 1139 times)

BazzerPontefract

Re: Philip Pullman
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
"Perhaps you can better explain the neurosis of Left wing thinking that conflates Trump with fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths, especially as a significant number of these fundamentalist Presbyterian faiths prohibit voting."

I've no idea Bazzer.  You would have to ask a left-wing thinker who felt like that.  I think as you find 'polite' so difficult you may not get a reply.
UP49,
I'm sorry, I thought your statement: "I found it fascinating that, although it had a lot to say in the 80s when it was published it now seems to be even more relevant [today] when it talks about using a fundamentalist religion (in this case based on fundamentalist Christianity in the USA) to control a state"  was doing just that, i.e. conflating today's fundamentalist Christianity with today's Trump.
I think you'll find current american politics more reflects the interests of people of next to no religion, them being furnacemen, colliers, bargemen, and Detroit car workers as apposed to Mormons, Jehovahs Witness, Baptists or Presbyterians.  Not much superstition amongst furnacemen and colliers, them being altogether more practical men, nevertheless them being people who'll still cause sleepless nights for lefties and liberals.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
U.P. may i welcome you to our forum... ;D
you seem to have dumbed down a little which makes you a lot more readable
for the likes of me... thank you
Crabbyob, while I am glad you are finding me more readable I don't think I have changed anything.  I never set out to be whatever the opposite of 'dumbing down' is as I often come from another forum and just carry on being me.  No one complains about my style on there - I can't imagine it happening - so I don't even think about how I am writing just what - I just write.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
 BazzerPontefract re Reply #15 on: Today at 01:10:22 PM

First may I tackle, once again, your inappropriate behaviour.  I appreciate that on a scale of 1 to 100,000, with Harvey Weinstein at 100,000 and you on one, many would not think the attempted controlling behaviour of calling someone by a name they have asked several times not to be called, is small fry.  But I do wish you would stop it.  My chosen name is Undercover Pensioner or UP.  It is really very odd that you believe it is okay to go on trying to control what I am called.

Can we also look at what is also either your need to deliberately misread what I post or your need to believe you understand something you obviously don't just so you can get in another attack on me.

What I actually said was “I found it fascinating that, although it had a lot to say in the 80s when it was published it now seems to be even more relevant when it talks about using a fundamentalist religion (in this case based on fundamentalist Christianity in the USA) to control a state.”

So you add an extra word – not my word - and twist the meaning by adding something about Trump.  I did not mention Trump!  The reason I put “in this case based on a fundamentalist Christianity in the USA” in brackets was because I thought I should explain for the sake of anyone who had not read the book.  Grammatically, if you removed the bracketed material the sentence will/should still make perfectly good sense. Just to help I will take the bracketed bit out for you.  It reads “it now seems to be even more relevant when it talks about using a fundamentalist religion to control a state”.  Perhaps a very low wattage light bulb moment might just happen.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
UP...In case you don't know, Radio 4 are broadcasting Philip Pullman's new book tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
I'm looking forward to it zoony :)