Author Topic: Irish Tramps  (Read 2072 times)

crabbyob

Re: Irish Tramps
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
or could he have become an irish tramp, wi a welsh accent, they dont use bank cards
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2017, 03:56:39 PM »
Interestingly enough Crabby, I remember an old professor of Psychiatry talking about true tramps. One of his observations was that a large number of genuine tramps were, what were then called 'simple' schizophrenics, vastly preferring to live their lives on the road and, for the most part avoiding people for reasons of their own.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »
...or maybe autistic?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »
Quite possibly on the spectrum somewhere but they're not mutually exclusive.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
There was an old tramp who used to busk (OK begged) in Kings Lynn. He often wore a Santa hat. His guitar only had two strings when we first saw him and eventually ended up with none. Then it had a broken neck. Later he had one which started out with 6 but he still couldn't play it. The string count slowly declined.

I was rather sad that he wasn't there this year.

Phil

« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
I wonder if there's ever been an Irish tramp with the surname O'Line?
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2017, 01:44:40 PM »
Just get your coat....

Phil

« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
Just get your coat....

But you know I'll bounce back.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

crabbyob

« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2017, 02:35:13 PM »
or a private in the irish army called O'Shea.... Rick O'Shea
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Johned

« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:50:33 PM »
I recall an old soldier with us awaiting demob, he like so many was originally from Eire and was incorrigible with his misplaced wit.  One morning on parade the officer inspecting was a completely inexperienced and stupid National Service Second Lieutenant who should have known better.  He said "I did not see you on parade yesterday morning McGee (not his real name)!"  The retort, quick as a flash was "No and I didn't see you on the bleedin' beach at Dunkirk either!"  The RSM intervened and laconically pronounced "Fall out two men and conduct him to the Guard Room!"  People like him were the backbone of the old army. 

crabbyob

« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:27:05 AM »
i love those stories
like the conscript trying to work his ticket, spent most of his time walking round the barracks pulling a piece of string when asked why he was pulling it said "i canny push it!"

Johned

« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2017, 10:56:14 AM »
We had a lad with us crabbyob who did succeed in "working his ticket."  He was employed as regimental gardener to keep him occupied whilst medical and psychiatric investigations were ongoing and he would stand to attention in front of the orderly rows of growing cabbages, shouting commands to them with a dibber under his arm.  He used to declare "I am the bloomin' RSM to these cabbages!"

crabbyob

« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2017, 07:37:11 AM »
we had one who when we reported for guard duty got a proper rollicking from the officer in charge and sent back to his barricks to blanco all his kit, he returned two hours later with all his kit blanco'd... his boots his battleress his cap his great-coat and of course.... his rifle... i dont think he worked his ticket tho, i guess hes still in jail...

Phil

« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
We had a lad with us crabbyob who did succeed in "working his ticket."  He was employed as regimental gardener to keep him occupied whilst medical and psychiatric investigations were ongoing and he would stand to attention in front of the orderly rows of growing cabbages, shouting commands to them with a dibber under his arm.  He used to declare "I am the bloomin' RSM to these cabbages!"

I reckon my wife must have been an RSM in a former life.

She quite often gets me to stand to attention.