Author Topic: Bins in my garden.  (Read 3276 times)

fortyone

Re: Bins in my garden.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »
The postmen round here have enough trouble getting the street right let alone the fun of no numbers. Every so often I get something with my number but a completely different street and postcode. They go back in the postbox up the road. So do all the Talk talk ones with the stupid pretend address which isn't really one.

crabbyob

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:28:26 PM »
i thought number one

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
If people don't paint their house number on the bin, then they can't be expected to come back if they wander off. Also it's no good sticking a notice up on the local trees and lamp posts saying "Have you seen this bin?" because they all look the same.

brian54

« Reply #18 on: Oct 22, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
13 (or 12A)?
There are only 11 houses in the road. There is no number 2.

minniemouse

« Reply #19 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Brian,
I know just what you mean.
I suspect the owners of the lost-bins are bit like me - if they don't get them back asap it'll ruin their bin collection days routine.

My bins weeks are planned like a military operation.  Three times a week I empty all the bins in-doors (don't you just love those wonderful Simply Human designs, we've got them everywhere, you know) whether they are full or not, sorting it into stuff for the tip and stuff for recycling. 

The green bins are collected on a different day to the blue and black, and quite frankly green waste is a bit of a problem this time of year.  It's the leaves - so every other day I use the lawn mower to pick them up (if it a particularly large litter, I'll use a rake).  Collections are only once a fortnight, so when my green bin is full, I bag the extra leaf litter, then on the morning of collection when all the neighbours bins are out, I'll run (slight exaggeration there) up and down the street topping up unused space in the neighbours bins.  What fun.

The bottle bin is the most awkward problem. The bottles I take to the local ASDA recycling point.  But my own bottle bins (I've got three) get full so easily and so often, I simply have no idea where the empty gin, wine, beer and cider bottles come from.  And so I have to be a bit secretive with bottles - I don't want the neighbours seeing me make trips every other week to the ASDA recycling point with half of one dozen sainsburys jumbo reusable bags full of bottles.   So I reverse the car up the drive, as close to the garden gate as possible, open the tailgate and hope no-one sees me loading the rear of the car with bottles.  At ASDA, I have an equally secretive routine - if there's anyone about I'll drive around the block a couple of times until it is quiet.  I don't want folks getting the wrong idea, about my drinking habits.

So well done Brian, a pillar of the community you really are, get those bins back to their rightful owners, they'll be lost without them, i know i would.
BP that post was such a 'laugh out loud' moment and so true to life.  ;D ;D ;D
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

minniemouse

« Reply #20 on: Oct 22, 2017, 05:37:31 PM »
Our garden waste bins (which we pay extra for) have microchips in case of theft.

(Brian, I did come round to collect my bins but you were out, probably walking the dogs in Sutton Park or maybe at the Charlie Hall/Yenton?
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Ashy

« Reply #21 on: Oct 22, 2017, 06:28:42 PM »
When the owners eventually get them back, they will ask "Where on earth have you bin?".

stellamaris

« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:16:43 PM »
Just a general query.  I thought that most houses had to have a number and they are allocated by the council.  I know you can add a house name if you wish but it can only be an extra to the number. How can you receive post on a street or road with other houses if there is no number, because the number is an essential part of a correct address.  That's what I thought anyway.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

em

« Reply #23 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
Stellamaris,no house numbers in my vicinity.Just names.

zoony

« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »
And you're right Spud. Every house has a street number if it's in a street, road, avenue etc.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

em

« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:53:32 PM »
Sorry,zoony,I have no street number!

Ashy

« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
Yes house numbers are usually allocated when a street is laid out. However there is no requirement to display the number on a house so far as I know although I always have. In older places there are some streets where every property has a name and numbers have never been allocated. It is permissible to name a house which already has a number but whilst there is no requirement to have a name, and any name given can be changed, the number cannot be removed.

brian54

« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:49:50 PM »
The bins have gone.
I don't know who took them.
Andy and Peter were going to charge them a storage fee.

GrannyMac

« Reply #28 on: Oct 22, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
Stellamaris,no house numbers in my vicinity.Just names.

My son and his family have recently moved to an old house with no number, just a name.  The few others nearby are the same.  They have quite a walk to take their bin to the end of their drive, which is joined near the road by the drive to the next door house.  It hasn't got a number either. 
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
Maybe not on the house Mac but maybe on a PO street map it does?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.