Author Topic: Bins in my garden.  (Read 3277 times)

minniemouse

Re: Bins in my garden.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:28:41 PM »
If you have no number that's confusing if an ambulance is called.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

brian54

« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:21:06 AM »
If you have no number that's confusing if an ambulance is called.
Fortunately there are only 11 houses. A neighbour said people living in our class of road do not need numbers. People should just know where every house is. My house has a number according to the land certificate and I display it.

fortyone

« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:35:13 AM »
If such a situation actually existed, and I have no doubt it doesn't, and I was the postman I'd either dump the lot in the middle of the road or just mark them all RTS no such address.

GrannyMac

« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
Maybe not on the house Mac but maybe on a PO street map it does?

I don't think so z, it's an old farmhouse, it's got the name on the gate, its been there a long time!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

fortyone

« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
I think the post office have no problems with the old named properties which never had a number but they certainly would with a road where they all should have numbers and have nothing.

Was this a council estate originally Brian and everybody used their "right to buy"? I've noticed that the first thing that happens with bought council houses is a door change - perhaps the numbers went missing that way?

stellamaris

« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
I've had a quick Google [!!! oops the connotations] and this is quite complicated. Apparently if in the mists of time the house has been registered with a name and not a number then you either keep the name or go through various hoops with different agencies if you wish to change it.  I don't think you can have that sort of house numbered.   You are allowed to change the name  but it can't be similar to any other registered name in the vicinity.  If your house has a number then you can call it what you like and don't have to display the number [as Ashy said].   All the people I know with named houses  put the name of the house first and then the number and street name on the next line.  It must be quite a faff if you hate the name and there is no number to fall back on.

I have seen fortyone's post above - sneaky but funny.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »
In our older years even a quick google can stir the pulses stellamaris, so enjoy :D

We bought a house with an awful (to us) name.  The previous occupants  had obviously enjoyed Spanish holidays.  We wrote to the council and change it back to it's previous name but it still kept it's number but I have to admit we only used the name not the number as it came between 12 and 14.  These days, with new builds, they would miss it out.

Fortyone - clever  ;D
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #37 on: Oct 23, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »
I am assuming this is the agony thread for bins.

Dear Auntie Brian,

Last week they did not empty my garden rubbish bin.  I have paid!  I rang them and let them know that although I had paid my fee for this, it hadn't happened.  They told me it would be emptied within five working days so it has been outside my house, lonely and sad, waiting for a garden bin rubbish lorry to empty it.  It is not alone now as I had to put the household rubbish bin out ready for tomorrow but Auntie Brian, what do I do if it not emptied tomorrow - the fifth day?  Do I have to give up and wait until the next garden rubbish collection next week?

There is another twist - the licence I have to attach to the bin has gone missing.  The council tell me the drivers have a list but the payment and licences are fairly new.  Will I need to march outside the council offices with a placard?

Thank you for reading my letter - I hope you don't mind the green ink.

Undercover Pensioner
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Phil

« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
Looking for a bin in Sheffield could get very confusing.

"Where's the bin"

"Av bin t' Asda."

;D
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

crabbyob

« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
Granny Mac territory
where hast tha bin since i saw thee
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »

Iv bin on a hi man....   London
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
then t'worms will coom an ate thee oop
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
...Then 'tbirds'll come an' eat up t'worms..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D