Author Topic: Somebody begging who I went to school with.  (Read 12302 times)

Phil

Re: Somebody begging who I went to school with.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »
I told him over 50 years ago he needs to listen to what the teachers said and to pay in to a pension scheme.
I have just met him begging on the street.
I gave him £0.00.

Another first for me.

I never had a teacher advise me to pay into a pension scheme.

I'm glad that you didn't reward his fecklessness & you should have berated him for ignoring the advice of his teachers & yourself.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Ashy

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
I never had a teacher advise me to pay into a pension scheme but then they probably didn't themselves in those days.

peterpensioner

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »
Two radically different approaches to the same issue.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-41715839

Brian's approach and the lady in this article. Who did the "right" thing ? I know which side I am on but what are other opinions ?

brian54

« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
I never had a teacher advise me to pay into a pension scheme but then they probably didn't themselves in those days.

I advised him to join a pension scheme. I don't think the teachers advised us at school.
Oddly the headmistress of the school who was my future mother in law asked if I was joining the company pension scheme on my first evening after my first day at work.
She did ask if I could show her the pension scheme rules ASAP.
Both myself and her daughter said it was already in progress.
My pension scheme contribution was backdated to the day I joined,
My wife's contributions were as well.

Phil

« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2017, 02:05:38 PM »

I advised him to join a pension scheme. I don't think the teachers advised us at school.
Oddly the headmistress of the school who was my future mother in law asked if I was joining the company pension scheme on my first evening after my first day at work.
She did ask if I could show her the pension scheme rules ASAP.
Both myself and her daughter said it was already in progress.
My pension scheme contribution was backdated to the day I joined,
My wife's contributions were as well.

Ah, you said in your opening post "I told him over 50 years ago he needs to listen to what the teachers said and to pay in to a pension scheme".

That's how the discussion about advice from teachers started.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

GrannyMac

« Reply #20 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:04:55 PM »
I once worked with a man, in a public sector job, who'd been with the organisation since leaving school at 17. He told me he chose the job because of the pension. I didn't know anyone else who thought like that in their teens His name wasn't Brian though.

In the sixties, when my friends and I were teenagers, pensions weren't high on our agenda.  👠👜🍰🍾🍸⛸🎹🎼🎸
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

minniemouse

« Reply #21 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:08:15 PM »
Love your emojis.  I know many people who never reached retirement.  Its not a 'given'.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

StephenM123

« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:19:05 PM »
In the unlikely event that an alumus fell on hard times the least I would do is buy him a hot drink and a sandwich. But then our ethos was to support chums not to be condescending!

zoony

« Reply #23 on: Oct 25, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
In the unlikely event that an alumus fell on hard times the least I would do is buy him a hot drink and a sandwich. But then our ethos was to support chums not to be condescending!

Well said Stephen.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
Love your emojis.  I know many people who never reached retirement.  Its not a 'given'.

My father didn't.  He died a month after his 59th birthday.  He'd got up ready to go to work, even though his health hadn't been good for a long time.  Collapsed with a coronary, not his first.  He'd worked for 42 years for the same firm, started as a clerk, ended up as factory manager. My mum did his job during WWII when he was in the army.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
I once worked with a man, in a public sector job, who'd been with the organisation since leaving school at 17. He told me he chose the job because of the pension. I didn't know anyone else who thought like that in their teens His name wasn't Brian though.

In the sixties, when my friends and I were teenagers, pensions weren't high on our agenda.  👠👜🍰🍾🍸⛸🎹🎼🎸

If you watch Emmerdale you'll have seen the intro to the programme which features a group of people in a spoof story room working out what happens next.

There's guy who always suggests things that have absolutely no emotion or normal human activity.

For one of his suggestions he has a huge flow chart to prove that it was possible for a character to have a really improbable obscure family relationship with another character.

Funnily enough his name is Brian & every time it comes on I see our Brian in the room saying, when asked what can be done to put some spark into the programme, "Fred Boothroyd could lose his home & struggle because he didn't pay into a pension scheme".

Lol.

You'll never see Emmerdale in the same light again.

;D ;D

crabbyob

« Reply #26 on: Oct 26, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
its sad that you can see a fellow school chum down on his luck and look the other way... there but for the grace of god go i !!... then go home and feed two dogs
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Johned

« Reply #27 on: Oct 27, 2017, 10:10:58 PM »
There hangs in my hall even today, a picture of my old school house members taken in 1950.  I oft look at it on passing and wonder how many are still with us today?  Happily the headboy of the house who must have been about 17 and a half at that time is still with us.  He became a headmaster himself and sat near us in the surgery the other day.  He is one of those chaps who, somehow, appears younger everytime you see him.  Strange how some folk age quickly yet others still seem instantly recognisable and relatively unchanged.

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Oct 27, 2017, 10:29:40 PM »
What is is they say?...As a youth you have a face, as an old man you have the face you deserve. ;)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

firenze

« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2017, 11:08:54 PM »
That's cruel Zoony...nature does what it chooses to on our faces, if we knew the recipe we would all look beautiful!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.