Author Topic: the humble soya bean.  (Read 265 times)

Alfred

the humble soya bean.
« on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:30:20 AM »

For hundreds of years the soya bean as we all know originated and was grown mainly in china.in recent years this amazing bean is being used also for animal feeds,
its high in protein and used as a  vegetarian, and   lactose  alternative , today it can be eaten as an alternative to meat,

so bearing this in mind with the worlds population getting ever bigger, could this humble bean be used in many food products to feed the world ,  and farmers in England are growing this bean ,realising it beneficial benefits,

Q; what are your thoughts  or views  on soya in general and have you tried eating it, i have ,.

StephenM123

Re: the humble soya bean.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:59:08 AM »
It is an alternative but not for everyone. I am quite intolerant to it. A coffee with soya milk gives me stomach cramps within the hour so I specifically ask for cow's milk in coffee shops. But then other people are lactose, gluten, WHY intolerant!

I have one other concern and that is GM versions. Yes I know we have crossed  roses, etc, but this is helping nature’s natural selection. GM is Frankenstein and interfering!

crabbyob

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2017, 10:44:56 AM »
i feel that being vegetarian must come to us as a race..
i  dont have the sums, but what it takes to grow a cow to maturity, could feed double the people the the cow might feed...
i had a Tamil friend who ate only veggie on a Saturday, and when  i asked why he smiled and said, "no animal had to die today that i might live" now that is all very noble, but how many have to die the other six days?
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2017, 11:15:15 AM »
I think people in general are eating less meat nowadays.  I only eat meat about 2/3 times a week now.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
I love your cry of "why intolerant" Stephen :)   It isn't the people who are intolerant but the digestive system.  You are wise to avoid something like soya milk now you have found your gut can not tolerate it.  I can't either but there is a chance of a cascade into more intense symptoms, three days out of normal health, an almost total loss of energy and a very painful time so I don't find it difficult to avoid. 

Soybeans and soy products can be sources of oligosaccharides, especially of GOS but some fructans too and these are the problem causers - malabsorbed by the small intestine they go on to undergo fermentation in your large intestine which causes your cramps - but the different soy based products do vary .  Soya milk is high in these so if you have these problems at other times it may be worth looking at which foods are also high in these that you are eating.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2017, 12:26:27 PM »
i must confess i am not the humble chickens best friend
i'm not aware how many i might eat a week but i have chicken most days
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

StephenM123

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
I love your cry of "why intolerant" Stephen :)   It isn't the people who are intolerant but the digestive system.  You are wise to avoid something like soya milk now you have found your gut can not tolerate it.  I can't either but there is a chance of a cascade into more intense symptoms, three days out of normal health, an almost total loss of energy and a very painful time so I don't find it difficult to avoid. 

Soybeans and soy products can be sources of oligosaccharides, especially of GOS but some fructans too and these are the problem causers - malabsorbed by the small intestine they go on to undergo fermentation in your large intestine which causes your cramps - but the different soy based products do vary .  Soya milk is high in these so if you have these problems at other times it may be worth looking at which foods are also high in these that you are eating.

Sorry UP I sometimes think you need to read, digest  (pun intended) and then type! I was not asking why people are intolerant to certain foods but using the abbreviation for "What Have You" meaning "and other foods".