Author Topic: Boys toys  (Read 6883 times)

crabbyob

Re: Boys toys
« Reply #30 on: Nov 06, 2018, 09:56:33 AM »
its not easy having a big nose... ;D ;D
the shot thing is amazing,, i dont know who does the shotting on the ready made rigs we use nowadays there is no way you or i could shot a float the way they do now...
i remember a few years ago some 'hunt sabs' came onto the bridge of a canal where two of us were fishing, they started to throw quite big stones i put my pole down, it cost about £300 some cost over a thousand, i waved them over, they were calling us obscene names, come and chat about it i walked towards them, there was about half a dozen university types, but they ran out of stones, or do i mean something else and ran away... the old man who was fishing near me asked what might i have said to them, i told him "that if you have hard skin on your hands its because you use your hands, and if you stick a needle into that hard skin it is painless, now fish dont have hands [i know they have fingers Farty  ;D ] so they pick everything up with their lips which become calluses, hence they feel no pain when hooked" he nodded and smiled "my argument is that if you go to a county show you will see a little girl leading a two ton bull, she can lead it because of the ring thru its nose, if it wants to stop she only has to give a gentle tug and the bull follows, because it hurts if she pulls so the bull keeps up, so if the fish was feeling any pain why on earth might it keep tugging on the line" his reasoning was better than mine but both are relative... and trust me on this... if there were no anglers there would certainly be no fish in our rivers and pools,...[/i]
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Ashy

« Reply #31 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:19:05 AM »
Second only to football, angling is he most popular sport in England.

crabbyob

« Reply #32 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:23:47 AM »
it has diminished a lot in the last twenty-thirty years
i used to fish in hundred peg matches and most workingmens clubs and big companies had a fishing club, but no more, and its a lot easier now... have another go next summer Ashy
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

fortyone

« Reply #33 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:24:37 AM »
With football it's mostly watchers. I think you'll find it is probably still the most popular participation sport.

Scrumpy

« Reply #34 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:57:51 AM »
... i sorted my tackle out one rainy day, but it never got used...

Hey! Diasi.... You missed this one.. Phil never would... ;D ;D ;D ;D
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #35 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »
He'd be offering up alternate popular participation sports too. :)

Yellowbird

« Reply #36 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
I have always worried about river fishing which is usually for fun, bet the fish don’t have much fun
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #37 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »

Hey! Diasi.... You missed this one.. Phil never would... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Am I to assume he would have passed a comment about crabbyob's tackle?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

fortyone

« Reply #38 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
I have always worried about river fishing which is usually for fun, bet the fish don’t have much fun
As crabby suggested if there was no fishing there would probably be polluted barren rivers.

crabbyob

« Reply #39 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:52:20 PM »
as i wrote, i girdered my loins in anticipation....lol
YB may i point out just how polluted our rivers and stream get
policed only by the angler who pays to have them stocked..
ban angling and within about 18 months their would be no fish in any river in England... because its not just industry that pollute, but our friends the farmers find it an easy way to dispose of slurry that de-oxygenates the water and wipes out the fish and all the creatures that depend on the fish... so when you see that angler, trust me he has paid to be there...

Diasi

« Reply #40 on: Nov 06, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
as i wrote, i girdered my loins in anticipation....lol
YB may i point out just how polluted our rivers and stream get
policed only by the angler who pays to have them stocked..
ban angling and within about 18 months their would be no fish in any river in England... because its not just industry that pollute, but our friends the farmers find it an easy way to dispose of slurry that de-oxygenates the water and wipes out the fish and all the creatures that depend on the fish... so when you see that angler, trust me he has paid to be there...

Ok, just because it's still near to bonfire night I'll let you off.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Yellowbird

« Reply #41 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
Sorry folks only saying how I felt.   The men in my family all used to fish, me too sometimes, but could'nt bear to see the fish on the hook, sad about the maggots too, I would'nt like to be put on a hook. I wasn't advocating banning fishing Diasi
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Diasi

« Reply #42 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
Sorry folks only saying how I felt.   The men in my family all used to fish, me too sometimes, but could'nt bear to see the fish on the hook, sad about the maggots too, I would'nt like to be put on a hook. I wasn't advocating banning fishing Diasi

I've never fished & never would.

crabbyob

« Reply #43 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
hands up, when i played football fishing was about the stupidest pass-time i could imagine, ok second only to golf...
but now i cant play football [was never any good at it anyway] i got dragged into fishing, and really enjoyed it, football 90 mins, fishing all day... golf four hours plus...angling today bears no resemblance to angling twenty thirty years ago,,, even the keepnets have to be a certain standard, and barbed hooks were banned twenty odd years ago... you are not even allowed to handle the fish in a towel, it damages the film of slime that protect it from disease... its all completely different... but our Polish brothers take home what they catch, they put out dead lines at night then go back in the morning, but even if you report them the authorities are always too buzy to catch them... but if you really want to abolish cruelty try visiting a hal al  killers dispatchery.

bilzin

« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
WHAT!!!!
wheres me bra

or as the Germans say...Das Floppenshtoppen