Author Topic: bus passes  (Read 6218 times)

zoony

Re: bus passes
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:57:20 AM »
Ladies...How often is a purse nicked compared to a handbag?...I'm curious.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #16 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:26:16 AM »
I've had my handbag nicked once and my purse very nearly nicked once. 
My shoulder bag was nicked when someone came up behind me and snatched it off my shoulder, then ran to a waiting car. 
My purse was nearly nicked when, in a market and perusing a rail of clothes a woman came close and opened my bag and pulled my purse out.  By pure coincidence I just happened to look round at the time and spotted her hand pulling the purse out of my bag.  She looked sheepish and dropped it and turned on her heels. 
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:33:57 AM »
So...that's one handbag and a failed purse snatch. Okay so far..

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:36:12 AM »
What about you men.  Have any of you ever had anything stolen from your back pocket?

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:47:06 AM »
Being as I'm the only one here at the moment...Yes. I was at a big fiesta in Sitges, caught up in a tight and jostling crowd but not unalert for such stuff. I felt a hand try to enter my back pocket and spun around...to be met by a sea of blank faces. I've not kept my wallet there since, despite taut buttocks...and that was 25 yrs ago....Not so taut now I think. ;D

cowboy wisdom.

minniemouse

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2017, 02:00:25 AM »
Probably flat and flaccid  ;D  such is life!

crabbyob

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:27:00 AM »
thats it Minnie... naughty step right now!!!!
flacid indeed... there are certain words not allowed on this forum
 and flacid is all of them... i'm going to lay down now...sigh
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

crabbyob

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:31:19 AM »
bag snatching is something that happens in Goa
a couple of young men who have watched a drunken woman [booze is cheap her the tonic costs more than the gin] but having spotted a lady in her cups, struggling with a wad of money to pay her bill, they wait outside on a scooter and if the woman has a shoulder-strap hand-bag it is gone, in a blink... and if she is unlucky enough to have a good hold on it she will be dragged...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Alfred

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »

A few years ago i too had lost my bus pass which i kept separate from my wallet, and went shopping ,  well i don't use my bus pass on a daily basis so i hadn't noticed it had been dropped on the floor of the bus , my coat has  a number of pockets , well ten days later the postman called and i had some mail there  was  a letter from the bus company and inside the envelope was my bus pass which i hadn't up till that point realised i had  even  lost it, 

i phone the bus company to thank them as i assume some alert driver must have seen it , luckily enough for me , i don't keep money in it nothing at all for just that reason,

when we go shopping i always mention to my wife and daughter of either keeping their hand bags inside their coats or keep their hand bags in front of them , which they do with their hand on the bag, iv seen many women walking along with their bags on their sides and seem oblivious as to the dangers of some unscrupulous thief doing a quick slashing of the strap and a quick exit, even dipping into the bag pick pocket style,

sadly you cant be too careful where ever you go even to a restaurant as some people have left items in their coat pockets  although rare but you cant take chances what ever and where ever you go,

Ashy

« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:02:44 AM »
How nice it is to hear that there are some honest people about. I would like to think I would do the same, if I knew where to send what I had found.

zoony

« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:37:11 AM »
I think good, honest people are more common than we think. I once left a leather wallet with my passport and some money in it on a seat at Barcelona station when I got on my train. I soon realized and detrained at the next station where the station-master phoned Barca. My stuff had already been found and was brought to me on the next train.

cowboy wisdom.

JCBDriver

« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
I "lost" my wallet a couple of years ago. I dont now if it was stolen or if I simply dropped it, noticed it was missing after returning from a shopping trip with the wife. Did the usual hunt for it in the car and the shopping bags but to no avail. Never got any response after reporting it to the local police.
In Bedfordshire we get a new bus is posted so had to wait a week after reporting it missing and paying £5.
I found the biggest hassle was getting all the cards replaced and checking that they had not been used fraudulently.

I changed to a tri-fold wallet and now keep it in a front pocked rather than the back.

katkin11

« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
when i worked in morrisions there was a brown shopping bag left by the meat counter when i looked inside there was alot of £20 notes took it to customer services who checked it with me and called dave the security guy later i was told somebody had rung in about it picked it up and left ££20 i donated it instore to the charity we were supporting,then when i worked in the cafe passed a woman who had notes all around her feet .

firenze

« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:02:25 PM »
Always carry bus pass, cash/credit cards in the small zip section in handbag, shoulder bags are easy targets.   Theiving is something I suffered as a retailer.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Johned

« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
When I was three I left my Teddy Bear from which I was inseparable on the Lincolnshire Road Car bus to Grantham whence we had been to visit my maternal grandparents.  The bus ran only weekly in those far off days but the driver had my beloved bear sat up on the dashboard and restored him to me.  That is eighty years ago and I have just recalled that incident after reading other folks' posts in this thread.  The human mind is a wonderful thing (or is it the first signs of utter insanity?).