Author Topic: Elderly and GP's  (Read 3602 times)

bluesladyfan

Re: Elderly and GP's
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
Recently I had to write 2 pleading letters and have a bizarre conversation with a receptionist in order to be given an appt to discuss my poor diabetes figures.  We have the 'BT 'l lottery at 8.30am and if you don't get an appt then that's it for today, call again at 8.30 tomorrow and all the other tomorrows.
making a fuss si the only way to be seen whoever you are as I was not asked my name or number to establish my priority. 

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
Do you not have the facility to book on line BLF?
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

bluesladyfan

« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:02:48 PM »
Was I not clear? If so, sorry.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #48 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
I could not see anything about being able to - or not - book on line.  It does surprise me that so many different systems are used.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Johned

« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
Like many parents of his generation my dad was a lovely man but a bit closemouthed about his family affairs and his former life.  One time we had a Sikh gentleman knock on our back door selling trinkets, scarves and such like.  Mam was out so Dad answered the door and I was utterly amazed when he burst into fluent Hindi.  After a few moments, the vendor closed his case and said "Sahib, no use trying to sell to you, obviously you have been in my country and know all the tricks!"  Dad then invited him in for a cup of tea and eventually bought mam a silk scarf.  In the words of the great Ken Dodd "When I was young I thought my dad was ignorant.  Funny how he got much cleverer as I got older!"

GrannyMac

« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
I wonder how he knew Hindi John?  My uncle worked in Calcutta for many years, quite a number of people from Dundee were working in the jute trade there. I think they had quite luxurious lives.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

zoony

« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:40:03 PM »
John, my father was raised in India too..Calcutta to be precise and used to do the same thing except that his Ama had used Urdu so half the time the waiters would just grin and bear it as most spoke Hindi. ::)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:15:49 PM »
My grandfather had a similar confrontation with an Indian cold caller however that one wasn't invited in and disappeared rather quickly. I'm not sure how fluent or what ianguage was used but as he was a regular soldier serving in India before WW1 I suspect it involved quite a bit of swearing.

Johned

« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
Dad evidently spoke "soldier" Hindi from his many years service in India and Burma besides numerous other outposts of Empire.  He always had a high regard for the Indian people and the country unlike perhaps many old soldiers and despite the fact mam and dad thought the world of each other, if they ever had a few words, she would drollfully mutter to me as an aside "he was more at home out there than here!"