Author Topic: Air Products pension scheme  (Read 9199 times)

Bovverboy

Air Products pension scheme
« on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:11:47 PM »
I worked for a large industrial gas company from 1966-70. I was told that I would be paid a pension from them when I reached retirement age. I recently found that a company called Mercer handles Air Products pension payments. However, Mercer wants me to provide a Pension Plan number. I am not able to do so and that seems to leave them to enjoy my money. I suspect this to be quite common as there are about one-million people suffering dementia in the UK.

Phil

Re: Air Products pension scheme
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »
I worked for a large industrial gas company from 1966-70. I was told that I would be paid a pension from them when I reached retirement age. I recently found that a company called Mercer handles Air Products pension payments. However, Mercer wants me to provide a Pension Plan number. I am not able to do so and that seems to leave them to enjoy my money. I suspect this to be quite common as there are about one-million people suffering dementia in the UK.

Welcome to the forum.

They can't insist on this.

All you have to do is provide details that applied to you at that time such as address & the obvious things such as NI number & an employee number if you can remember it.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Bovverboy

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:57:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I am unable to remember my works number. Air Products claim to only have records going back to 2008. I do not believe them.

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:28:20 PM »
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Phil

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
Age UK might be able to help.  https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/pensions/tracing-old-pensions/

From what he says he doesn't need it tracing, he knows who holds the records but they won't deal with him unless he provides his pension scheme number.
Thanks for your reply.

I am unable to remember my works number. Air Products claim to only have records going back to 2008. I do not believe them.

A works number isn't compulsory but it might have helped.

The point is that there's a pension pot which relates to you & apart from the pension number the records will have your name, date of birth & address at the time it was set up so it's impossible not to be able to trace your pension records or to confirm who you are.

My wife worked for Philips in the early 1990's for just a couple of years but she accrued a small pension pot which was transferred to a firm called Pension Insurance Corporation when it had been dormant for several years.

Pension Insurance Corporation are closing all dormant pension accounts & they asked HMRC to pass on a letter from themselves about her pension.

They included a 'lost details' form which she had to complete to say she didn't have any copies of her pension documents.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Bovverboy

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:33:03 PM »
Mercer asked me to supply ''proof'' of my pension plan membership. I feel sure that they already know what my membership number is and that they simply do not wish to cough up. I feel sure too that Air Products employee records are kept going back to the early 1960s.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
Mercer asked me to supply ''proof'' of my pension plan membership. I feel sure that they already know what my membership number is and that they simply do not wish to cough up. I feel sure too that Air Products employee records are kept going back to the early 1960s.

It isn't up to you to provide proof of your pension membership as Mercer have already got the record with your details on it.

The most they can require is for you to prove that you're the person to whom their pension record relates.

There can't be too many people with your name, DOB, NI Number & who've lived at the addresses you've lived at at the same time as you were living there, kicking around the UK.

Ask them how much s. hit they'd like dumping on them & from what height if they keep arsing about.

https://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk

Bovverboy

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »
Thanks for the hope and encouragement!

I will push Mercer a bit further with the details you suggest.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »
Thanks for the hope and encouragement!

I will push Mercer a bit further with the details you suggest.

I've added a bit to my post but you might have missed it so have a look.

https://www.pensions-ombudsman.org.uk

Bovverboy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »

I think Mercer employ skilled people on a mission to rid themselves of claimants by any means. However, I will not be going away!!!

Phil

« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2017, 11:34:23 PM »
I think Mercer employ skilled people on a mission to rid themselves of claimants by any means. However, I will not be going away!!!

My wife had to prove who she was by her birth certificate, divorce certificate & her marriage certificate with me & her passport or driving licence & a recent bank statement / utility bill showing her current address.

crabbyob

« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2017, 05:23:23 AM »
get tooled up mate find a lawyer who does this work, there are plenty about
but a visit to Age Concern might suffice
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Phil

« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »
get tooled up mate find a lawyer who does this work, there are plenty about
but a visit to Age Concern might suffice

Age UK (previously Age Concern) won't help, they only offer a tracing service & Bovverboy doesn't need it tracing.

Copied from their site: The Pension Tracing Service will only tell you the contact details of the pension’s administrator. You will then need to contact the pension administrator to find out whether you have a pension, what value it is and to ask for it to be paid out.

It's the Pensions Ombudsman who can sort out Mercer.

Bovverboy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2017, 02:25:14 PM »
I used the Pensions Tracing people to enquire about another possible pension that I may be entitled to. This had been when I was 15-17-years-old (1959-1961). They replied today with an address to write to.

Phil

« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2017, 02:48:01 PM »
I used the Pensions Tracing people to enquire about another possible pension that I may be entitled to. This had been when I was 15-17-years-old (1959-1961). They replied today with an address to write to.

You were born in 1944 & I was too.