Author Topic: every little helps  (Read 1624 times)

caminito

every little helps
« on: Feb 27, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
Supermarket giant Tesco is launching a £200 million price war with rival Asda as its chief executive prepares to retire after 14 years at the helm.

The group is lowering prices on more than 1,000 items from tomorrow and promising to pay shoppers 'double the difference' on products found cheaper at Wal-Mart owned Asda.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361116/Tesco-launches-200-million-price-war-Asda--On-day-CEO-retires.html#ixzz1FC8VdhPH

Hopefully Waitrose will follow suit as they advertise that they match Tesco's on 1000 items

Chrisjay

Re: every little helps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »
I agree every little does help and I often do a price compare on-line to find where the bulk of the items I want that week are located.

I now shop for the store cupboard once a month separate to my 'fresh' groceries and buy things like soap powder, toilet rolls, etc in bulk when they are on offer.

I find doing it this way I save that week and in the long term as I have enough 'stock' usually till they are on offer again.

When I was abroad we had a cooperative in our street where we went to the wholesale markets and then divided the case quantities between everyone - it saved a lot of money and I can see this happening again as it is really a follow on of allotments and grow your own - if you can't grow it buy in bulk and share it out.

Hugh

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
We use tesco so good news for us. What does get up my nose signs which says buy one get one free which is always in small print or down so low you have to kneel to read it. Not very helpful to elderly pensioners with poor eye sight.

caminito

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
The bottom shelf is where they place the Arthritis cream and back ache pain killers ! ::)l

Chrisjay

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
There are two things that annoy me one is the buy 3 for say £2.50 when I only want one and the one is 50% more expensive and the size of everything packed try buying one pork chop or one chicken leg or anything in a quantiry for one.

I either have to eat things for two or three days running or have loads of individual bags of things in the freezer (then I either forget what it is or forget to get something out of the freezer  :-\

I think the first supermarket that offers the lowest price for everything on multi buy offers to pensioners will get my support.

caminito

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
Quite agree Chris .
I soon as I bring the shopping home , I spend about 15 minutes dividing up the family packs of meat and anything else that will freeze !
I keep a big wad of the plastic bags that I pinch from the fruit and veg dept.
What use is BOGF on fruit & veg , to a single person or even a couple , unless it can be stewed /cooked and frozen !

Previous research by WRAP has revealed that 6.7 million tonnes of food is thrown away by UK consumers each year, equivalent to a third of food bought. Most of this could have been eaten, and 40% (by weight) of this avoidable food waste is made up of fruit & vegetables, worth almost £3 billion. Almost 90% of this fruit & vegetable waste consists of fresh produce, about 1.4 million tonnes, and most is thrown away as a result of not being used in time (before going off or out of date). For example the top five fruit and vegetables which get thrown away whole, without being touched are:
􀂄 Apples – 4.4 million per day
􀂄 Potatoes – 5.1 million per day
􀂄 Bananas – 1.6 million per day
􀂄 Tomatoes – 2.8 million per day
􀂄 Oranges – 1.2 million per day

caminito

« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
Getting ripped off again  >:(

Food prices in British supermarkets are rising much faster than in other leading nations as retailers cash in with hefty mark-ups, a report shows.

Commodity price inflation over the past few months would justify a 3 to 3.5 per cent increase in processed food prices, but stores have increased prices by 6 to 6.5 per cent.

The UK fared the worst in six out of ten categories for price rises – including bread and cereals, fish, and oil and fats – when compared with the six major economies, says the report by investment bank UBS.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361756/Food-price-rise-hits-UK-families-hardest.html#ixzz1FQwL2yo2

Chrisjay

« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2011, 10:18:32 AM »
What really annoys me (which you will have 'heard' me say before) is the price is staying the same on packaged goods particularly fruit & veg, meats, ready meals but the weight is going down giving the illusion that you can still get say 500 grams for £1 when in fact you will be getting 400 grams for the price which is a 20% reduction/price rise

Hugh

« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
All supermarket are competing with each other, it is expected food prices will rise in all stores do to lack of rain or to much in many areas. Meat products, we always look out half price joints because of shelf life about to expire. Very rare when no offers are on.