Author Topic: Lost Pension Credit, Now Worse Off.  (Read 6184 times)

Undercover Pensioner

Re: Lost Pension Credit, Now Worse Off.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
The Conner's did a really good con on the low paid workers who couldn't afford a proper paying pension when they increased the state pension to a level that just put out many people from getting pension credit if they had a minimal paying pension or as most had paid SERP's this meant income would be just above the pension credit threshold. This also meant they actually gave a really big extra chunk of cash to their own votors who already were well healed with large worthwhile pensions, incidentally they also gave the work shy a welcome bonus, as they had worked very little or probably not at all they found themselves relatively well off when they could still claim pension credit which was increased to the same level as the new state pension and still have the pension passport, I don't think the Conner's intended this to happen, probably it was a over sight as a lot of so called planners seem a bit thick to me.

I don't think that was a "con" body.  It was deliberate, and quite right in my view, to ensure the New Pension was equal to the old pension plus Pension Credit.  This will actually help those who are just a fraction above PC.  The idea is that we should all be paid an amount the government deem we could live on.  With the old scheme (which I think most on here are on) that was means tested the new scheme is not except for those who have a less than basic State Pension.

I'm not sure that calling them all "Conners" helps.  Perhaps it would be better to work on getting better basic pension and getting rid of all the extra bits and pieces.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

GrannyMac

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2019, 11:14:15 PM »

I don't think that was a "con" body.  It was deliberate, and quite right in my view, to ensure the New Pension was equal to the old pension plus Pension Credit. This will actually help those who are just a fraction above PC.  The idea is that we should all be paid an amount the government deem we could live on.  With the old scheme (which I think most on here are on) that was means tested the new scheme is not except for those who have a less than basic State Pension.

I'm not sure that calling them all "Conners" helps.  Perhaps it would be better to work on getting better basic pension and getting rid of all the extra bits and pieces.

My OH and I would certainly be better off under the new scheme.  We don't qualify for Pension Credit, but our income isn't much more than full pension credit. Getting the new basic pension would have made a big difference to pensioners like us, and is much fairer than means testing.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Diasi

« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »

My OH and I would certainly be better off under the new scheme.  We don't qualify for Pension Credit, but our income isn't much more than full pension credit. Getting the new basic pension would have made a big difference to pensioners like us, and is much fairer than means testing.

There'll be thousands & thousands in your position with small private pensions.

Taking into account all the available freebies, you'd need a private pension of up to £10,000 to guarantee that you'd be better off, as a couple, than on Pension Credit.

I know one Pension Credit couple who had, in one year alone, in addition to free council tax, dental treatment, opticians treatment etc, £6,000 worth of free central heating & £hundreds of free vet bills.

This is what I pointed out to Age UK when I signed their TV licence petition.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »

I agree Granny Mac.  It isn't just the fact that those just over would get it, many who should get it don't claim, so they would now a get it automatically.

I think the very poorest pensioners will be the oldest ones eventually.  I do think it was right to raise the pension to the PC level, but it should have been for everyone.  The one thing I do wonder about is whether those just on the basic new pension claim the NHS low income benefit, or whether they still get automatic Cold Weather payments or if these are just being allowed to die away quietly.  The new basic pension should be more than the old basic plus PC to cover these.  I still feel there should be a basic pension income for all, equivalent to the personal tax allowance.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
If you are really counting every penny you learn how to fill them in or get someone - Age Concern are good - to help you.  If you are filling in a lot of these forms it does become easier.

AgeUK as it is now are good in some parts of the country but completely useless in others.

We seem to have the latter.
They helped my wife (76 and riddled with Arthritis)  complete a renewal from for her Blue Badge. As she didn't claim DLA pre 65 (well she did but refused to appeal against the decision not to award it), she claimed AA with the help of the CAB. She was awarded the day and night element indefinitely.
She then went on to claim for a Blue Badge with the help of the CAB and it was awarded based on the completed form and the evidence she sent in.
In August last year it was up for renewal and she decided to ask AgeUK to help her fill out the form. She was given a copy of the completed form that they submitted on her behalf and I was shocked to read what they had put. Talk about over exaggeration, she was said to be a complete invalid and not able to get out of bed never mind walk.
Still some weeks later she was called for a mobility assessment by the Council.
According to the report telling her that her renewal was refused, it said that she could walk and indeed managed with some difficulty 15 metres despite what she had claimed.
She's frightened to death now of ever making another application all thanks to AgeUK.

Kathyd

« Reply #20 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:05:07 PM »
My husband aged 70 was receiving pension credit, I was receiving Carers Allowance we also got full housing benefit. I reached state pension age on 6th July and will start getting a full pension in my own right £168.60 per week...... but... we lose pension credit and Carers Allowance £120 per week.... that's ok we thought we'd still be nearly £50 better off but no we now have to pay rent and council tax OF £70+per week and lose all health benefits? How is this fair????

mick607

« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
Same scenario as me, loss of PC & you lose everything else. Much worse off on state pension.

Kathyd

« Reply #22 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
We would have been better off staying the way we were and me not claiming my SP! I've been wishing my life away waiting!

mick607

« Reply #23 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »
My point entirely ! By contributing to a private pension I shot myself in the foot.Brian wasn't around at the time to give me advice  :o :o :o

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #24 on: Jul 09, 2019, 07:56:21 PM »
My husband aged 70 was receiving pension credit, I was receiving Carers Allowance we also got full housing benefit. I reached state pension age on 6th July and will start getting a full pension in my own right £168.60 per week...... but... we lose pension credit and Carers Allowance £120 per week.... that's ok we thought we'd still be nearly £50 better off but no we now have to pay rent and council tax OF £70+per week and lose all health benefits? How is this fair? ???

Kathryn, these systems are nothing if not confusing.  I would suggest that you check everything you used to get automatically and see if you can apply for each one individually.  You may not get as much but it all adds up.  Do still apply for Carers Allowance.  You may not get the allowance but it looks to me as if you will get an additional amount of £34.95 added to the level against which any housing benefit, council tax support and pension credit is calculated.

I'm not au fait with this but *Diasi* may be along later and he understands the language of these things and may be able to tell you more.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
She's frightened to death now of ever making another application all thanks to AgeUK.

I am so sorry to hear that GTS.  I think it is the individual's knowledge as much as the overall charity.  I was told about the Severe Mental Impairment Council Tax exemption by one advisor, which I applied for and got for mum.  Since then I have told several other advisors about it - they had never heard of it.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
There'll be thousands & thousands in your position with small private pensions.

Taking into account all the available freebies, you'd need a private pension of up to £10,000 to guarantee that you'd be better off, as a couple, than on Pension Credit.

I know one Pension Credit couple who had, in one year alone, in addition to free council tax, dental treatment, opticians treatment etc, £6,000 worth of free central heating & £hundreds of free vet bills.

This is what I pointed out to Age UK when I signed their TV licence petition.

And a couple of years back when my central heating boiler was 10 years old, I had a new all singing, all dancing new one as I was receiving Pension Credit at no cost to me.

Goingtoseed

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2019, 06:48:12 PM »

I am so sorry to hear that GTS.  I think it is the individual's knowledge as much as the overall charity.  I was told about the Severe Mental Impairment Council Tax exemption by one advisor, which I applied for and got for mum.  Since then I have told several other advisors about it - they had never heard of it.

Yes that is a little known benefit.
Unfortunately it very much depends on the GP who has to confirm the condition - doesn't help those that are affected by mental illness that no longer see their GP from one year to the next. My old GP - now retired and sold up, had me go through days of tests under the Community Mental Health Team for the Older Person.
I ended up with a 5 page damning report as to what my limited abilities are with a suggestion that I be re-assessed in 12 months and have a brain scan. I had the scan and the results which confirmed the damage, but never heard anything back re the review. When I contacted the new GP's secretary they had no record of it!  She suggested that I contact the CMHT direct. This I did  and was told that if I want to make an issue about it I would have to start again from scratch as the case file had been archived. No way was I going through all of those tests again!!
Therefore the new GP could not/would not be able to confirm anything for the council.