Author Topic: Very sensible young lady this morning.  (Read 3775 times)

brian54

Very sensible young lady this morning.
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
Somebody was talking to a young lady this morning who started work in June.
They asked her if she had joined her company pension scheme.
She replied she asked her manager about joining the pension scheme about 2 hours after she joined the company and she was in the scheme from the 1st July.

Scrumpy

Re: Very sensible young lady this morning.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:53:04 PM »

Was it BAGPUSS... you were watching.?
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

sparky

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »
Brian, Only goes to show there is one idiot born every minute.

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
Yawn.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

brian54

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
Brian, Only goes to show there is one idiot born every minute.
She may be the idiot now but she will be laughing at people in years to come when they are struggling to buy their grandchildren presents and she is driving a newish car. I know some people like that who were on equivalent salaries to me.

Dayjo

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
I think it is very cruel. To laugh at other people's misfortunes.......
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
I think it is very cruel. To laugh at other people's misfortunes.......
They are not misfortunes. I told these people to join the pension scheme or they will be poor in later life. You can guess what has happened. The same people said I was an idiot.

sparky

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
Brian, the only people pushing private pensions are slimy money grabbing pension providers, and government, who would love it if they could do more to avoid what they should have been doing for years, that is, ensuring that there was sufficient money coming in from our NI contributions and Taxes to provide a decent state pension, instead of using our taxes to fund illegal wars, poking their noses in  other countries affairs around the world, and their other foolish grandiose schemes, so I until that happens I will continue to say that paying into a pension, rather than providing alternative ways for retirement is a mugs game, as was pointed out very well in a post yesterday by Mick.

StephenM123

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
Auto enrolment is now law as regards pensions so I imagine it was actually automatic!

Ashy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
When I listen to other peoples' conversations they are usually debating whether they want a burger or chicken and chips. But this is Essex.

granny moss

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
I never paid in for a pension. Bought property instead. My daughter has invested in property and land. There are alternatives to buying a pension. gmx

Phil

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »
They are not misfortunes. I told these people to join the pension scheme or they will be poor in later life. You can guess what has happened. The same people said I was an idiot.

I don't need to guess what has happened, I know what has happened.

They'll be getting Pension Credit & all the other miriad of associated passport benefits.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

brian54

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
I think the larger company schemes and Bank and public sector schemes are generally ok.
The problem I had was I made AVC payments early in my working life and bonus sacrifices to boost my pension.
Computers did not exist at the start and some of my records were on paper which were in an old records room.
I spoke to some lower grade people and they were not interested in going through the old files.
In the end I spoke to a director and gave him copies of the letters and he assigned a more senior person to the case.
He came back and agreed my figures but he said he was working for over 4 days just on my case.
A similar thing happened with my late wife's pension.

sparky

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:09:44 PM »

I never paid in for a pension. Bought property instead. My daughter has invested in property and land. There are alternatives to buying a pension.

Quite so GM, and just one of the  clear advantage with that method, is knowing you have non stop control of your investments, and its not in the hands of some  dodgy pension company thirty years down the line.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 05:29:30 AM »
i wore either belt or braces, no doubt Brian wore both, even on his pyjamas
the thing is brian most of us did work that rarely allowed us to reach 65
i'm sure you had long and meaningful discussions round your pencil sharpener, while i was crawling along a girder a few hundred feet up, shouting to my mate while using a rat-tailed spanner "hi jock, do you fancy joining a pension scheme so you can afford to by your daughter a car when your seventy"
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”