Author Topic: Pension query - widow who has made no NI contributions  (Read 2025 times)

Paulo

Pension query - widow who has made no NI contributions
« on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:21:44 PM »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a query which I hope forum members can assist me with.
My Father in Law would like to know if his wife, who has made no NI contributions, would be eligible for any state pension upon his death. they are both in their 80's and been married for 50 years. He has full NI contributions. If she would be eligible how do I find what the value would be?
Thanks

StephenM123

Re: Pension query - widow who has made no NI contributions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »
She will receive a pension but the rules are complex. Your best bet is to ring DWP for a forecast next week.

Paulo

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:13:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply, I'll do as you suggest.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and have a query which I hope forum members can assist me with.
My Father in Law would like to know if his wife, who has made no NI contributions, would be eligible for any state pension upon his death. they are both in their 80's and been married for 50 years. He has full NI contributions. If she would be eligible how do I find what the value would be?
Thanks

The rules changed a while back regarding a woman getting a pension based on her husband's NI contribution.

I can't see a future where people who haven't contributed get nowt because any shortfall will entitle them to Pension Credit which isn't based on NI contributions so tell them both not to worry.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2899593/My-wife-never-paid-National-Insurance-contributions-retire-nothing.html

https://www.yourpension.gov.uk/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_campaign=GTKY-17-18B2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvnKkJew2AIVB7XtCh0iOwEZEAAYASAAEgL9QfD_BwE
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

mick607

« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:26:11 PM »
The rules changed a while back regarding a woman getting a pension based on her husband's NI contribution.

I can't see a future where people who haven't contributed get nowt because any shortfall will entitle them to Pension Credit which isn't based on NI contributions so tell them both not to worry.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2899593/My-wife-never-paid-National-Insurance-contributions-retire-nothing.html

https://www.yourpension.gov.uk/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_campaign=GTKY-17-18B2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvnKkJew2AIVB7XtCh0iOwEZEAAYASAAEgL9QfD_BwE
I always believed Pension Credit requires paid NI contributions.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »
I always believed Pension Credit requires paid NI contributions.

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit so it's not a contributory benefit as a benefit has to be one or the other.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:25:14 PM »
Paulo I am not able to give any information to answer your question and, I am totally sure Phil is the one who has his finger on the pulse with where to look even if he doesn't have the information at hand.

I just wanted to pick up on the bit I have quoted above.  I haven't looked it up Phil but from memory I think something like 40% of pensioners get pension credit.  Obviously this varies from pennies to the full amount and not surprisingly the majority of these are women.  With the new system they are expecting it to reduce to around 15% (if my memory serves me right).  I think this is because more women are working and also there are more credits for caring - for children and for those who have other care needs.  I think, eventually, rather than pushing people towards PC they are ensuring they have enough contribution for the new pension.  I am sure this is cheaper than means tested benefits so it probably (?) makes sense.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.