Author Topic: Birdwatching.  (Read 6604 times)

firenze

Birdwatching.
« on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
i have lived in present abode 10 years and realise the bird population has not only reduced in number in that time, but also in breeds.   Not a Robin have I seen nor any Finches....perhaps I should just say I only ever see the Blackbird,  Sparrow, and Starling, a sprinkle of Pidgeon and not a tweet from any.

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

zoony

Re: Birdwatching.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:39:42 PM »
I have a smallish suburban garden with lots of mature shrubs and a HUGE fir tree very close by. I regularly watch the pair of robins, blackbirds (bossy and possessive creatures), titmice, blue and coal tits, occasionally a lovely little wren, magpies, dunnock, hedge sparrows (always noisy and mob-handed) and others too fleeting to more than glimpse. The huge, dense fir seems to house loads of 'em.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:44:51 PM »
I've been here 11 years and although I've seen the number of species decline,  the overall number of birds has increased.  In the beginning, I saw quite a number of finches and tits as well as Robins, sparrows etc..
However I hardly ever saw a Magpie or Starling - now they're quite plentiful. One breed that I haven't seen for year is the Coal tit, and Blue tits are not so common.  At least sparrows, robins and wrens are still very much in evidence in my garden.

The corvids and raptors seem to greatly increased in number.  Buzzards are plentiful and I've seen several Sparrow hawks and Owls.  Very rarely, I see a Red Kite which have only recently been re-introduced into Scotland.

Feeding the garden birds costs me quite a bit, but I don't mind.  Peanuts are expensive, and I've discovered that they ignore cheap seed mix!  Meal worms are the favourite.
You'll have had your tea.

firenze

« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Lucky you Zoony,  I've always found watching feathered friends quite lovely and relaxing. I do have a tree lined entry to this suburban house and that housed the mixture of birds you also mention, but that was in the past.   The traffic nearby has increased and perhaps thereby accounts for the birds decrease.

Mark Twain.

firenze

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »
Traveller..agree the decline in species, perhaps nature will bounce back.  I do hope so, I stayed often in Italy and couldn't feel happy there at the lack of birds generally.

Mark Twain.

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »
I'm also lucky to live near the coast where  I can probably see a greater variety of birds  than I do inland.  There are of course the various gulls, terns and wading birds,  but occasionally I see less common ones such as Bar tailed Godwits, Long tailed ducks and Eider.  I always enjoy seeing the flocks of Little Stint which we find in large numbers along the tide line.  Rock Pippits are very common along the rocky coast here.
You'll have had your tea.

minniemouse

« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:20:03 PM »
Years ago, when I was working in the City Centre we had hundreds of starlings forming patterns in the sky. Then a few years ago they vanished.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
It's called a 'murmuration' Min. Certain places see it regularly others never. Lovely thing to watch (makes it harder for predators to select a single target so it's safer) as they gather before they roost for the night.

cowboy wisdom.

prestbury

« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:30:32 PM »
Our small garden has had a wide selection of birds up until about November, coal tits, blue tits, robins, sparrows, wood pigeons, blackbirds and wrens.

I would have expected  a few at this time of year but the food has been hardly touched over the last few weeks. The most prolific this week have been Moor Hens which is surprising when they have to cross several roads to get here. More surprising is seeing them on the roofs of the bungalows considering they are lazy waterfowl who prefer to run than fly.

zoony

« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 11:43:23 PM »
Well, I'd rather make the effort and fly rather than risk being flattened under a Goodyear..What are you putting out that attracts them?...Given that you don't have a stocked lake in your small garden.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2018, 05:18:26 AM »
its really nice to see so many of you pay attention to our birds
one thing i might point out to you is the bird numbers are diminishing as the magpie numbers increase
they truly are murderers and take the young of all birds but seem to really find smaller birds tastier
 i used to have a friend who was an active member of RSPB but who went round smashing magpies eggs
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »
To my mind, magpies are part of the world of birds and have been for ever. Their behaviour is normal and they have as much right to be there as any. Red in tooth and claw is just the way of nature.
For some reason there are lots of tits this morning. Had a new fence put up a while back and they're hanging off the vertical surface and mobbing the little bird house. Never seen so many.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
like a naturist beach eh Zoony
i dont kill birds nor take eggs
but when i was a lad it was good luck to see a magpie
even today my mates shake their heads when i see them, i touch my forelock [yes i have]
and say "good morning my lord" i have no idea why i say it
perhaps  someone here can
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:27:39 AM »
I salute with a "'mornin' captain"..Long-held country superstition as far as I know, ol' crab.

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »
i used to have a friend who was an active member of RSPB but who went round smashing magpies eggs
that's illegal. Maximum penalty (in theory) unlimited fine and six months jail. I say in theory because courts are notoriously lenient on any animal offences.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/wildlife-and-the-law/wildlife-and-countryside-act/

We only have a small suburban garden but do have a bird table. The most prominent visitors are doves and wood pigeon who hoover up the bulk of what we put out. We also see blackbirds robins starlings sparrows the occasional wren and a magpie. Without a tree hanging feeders go ignored but there are goldfinch chaffinch and several varieties of tit in the area.  On a couple of occasions there have even been partridge who must have had defective sat navs.