Author Topic: Got my 70+ driving licence application this morning.  (Read 1897 times)

granny moss

Re: Got my 70+ driving licence application this morning.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:20:59 AM »
I drove with a provisional licence for several years. Passed the driving test when needed full licence to drive for the business....Drove for nearly 40 years without a claim. At age 70 decided to give up driving. When I informed Aviva why I was cancelling my insurance, they thanked me and few days later I received from them a cheque for £50 !!!! gmx

Johned

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
I did but jest, Brian54.  My poor old dad joined the army at 17 but prior to that he was driving an old Ford Model T van around Rutland delivering groceries.  People chanced their arm to earn a crust in those days I suppose. 

brian54

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »
I drove with a provisional licence for several years. Passed the driving test when needed full licence to drive for the business....Drove for nearly 40 years without a claim. At age 70 decided to give up driving. When I informed Aviva why I was cancelling my insurance, they thanked me and few days later I received from them a cheque for £50 !!!! gmx

Give up driving at 70?. That is young. My father was nearly 90 when he stopped driving but he kept on renewing his licence. His licence was valid when he passed away at nearly 95.
A drunk driver wrote off Dad's car when he was in his mid 80's. He was aggrieved with Dad being on the road but I wonder if the real reason was he lost his licence and Dad did not,

prestbury

« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
I wonder if I would qualify? My father's mother was born in Kingstown, Dublin, now Dun Laoghaire. I've established her parents marriage in 1850, but there's no trace of her, or her sisters birth certificates. AFAIK she was born in the 1860s, she married my grandfather in Scotland, and my dad was born in 1904.  An heir hunter contacted my dad in the fifties, they couldn't find my grandmothers birth details either.
During the Irish Civil War in 1922 the Public Records Office in Dublin was destroyed by explosion and fire thus destroying many records including in around half of the (Protestant) Church of Ireland records. Civil registration records did survive but registration did not take place until 1864.

If your grandmother was born before 1864 the only records would be baptismal and if the family was protestant and from Kingstown (adj to Dublin) it is most certainly that the records would be stored at the above PRO building and therefore destroyed. If the family was catholic then the records will exist, it just means trawling through parish registers.

I should add that some Church of Ireland clergymen did not send in their records, or transcribed them prior to sending them in, so it is always possible that something exists.

It should be noted that all Irish census records prior to 1901 were also destroyed.

brian54

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
My 70+ licence licence has come back. I have got to look at the paperwork but I have noticed it starts on my 70th birthday so technically I have no licence in my possession till then.
The renewal notice said it could take up to 6 weeks and it has only been just over a week.
Andy and Peter are happy for me to drive them to the park and on holiday. My granddaughters are happy to travel with me in their mother's car. Yes I do fill them with petrol about once a month when the tank is low.
As long as it covers me for a car I am not bothered.
I did drive a transit van a few times when I was working. I will not be doing that now.

Ashy

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:01:17 PM »
I really don't think you should fill your granddaughters with petrol. Angel delight perhaps.