Author Topic: pension credit  (Read 947 times)

katkin11

pension credit
« on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
hi everyone i have been getting 15.25 per week just had a letterabout april payment its 15.07 per week i know its only 18p less a week but i throught your pc went up in april not down anyone else gonna get less pc?

Bobcat

Re: pension credit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2018, 12:58:18 PM »
PC is means tested. Have you had any other changes in circumstances that might have affected your income or capital ?

katkin11

« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
no bobcat nothing has changed i get basic state pension and pension credit find it odd that i will get less dont want to query in case i owe them money

minniemouse

« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
Will the rise in April be enough to tip you into paying tax so therefore although you've had a rise you will pick up less.
Hedgehogs!  "Why can't they just share the hedge".

brian54

« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Could you have been paid too much?. Somebody I know was overpaid his pension for nearly a year by mistake. His payment went down by about 2 a week for a year.

katkin11

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:09:33 PM »
i retired in 2013 every year i get a rise in my basic state pension and a rise in my pension credit.i also get pip but this is nothing to do with my pension i have been getting pip for a few years before i retired

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
We could abolish pension credit.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2018, 08:56:57 PM »

I think it is because of the triple lock.  Your basic State Pension will rise by CPI but the Pension Credit will only rise by an amount in line with the increase in average earnings.  This should please Brian as it will probably mean the two forms of Pension Credit, Guaranteed and Savings, will phase out eventually.  What it means currently is that the poorest pensioners get a smaller cash increase than other pensioners.  What the government have done in the past few years is pay 3% on Pension Guarantee taking this money by paying those on Savings Credit less than inflation.  This means the nearly poorest have been getting less so the poorest can have a little more.  I'm not sure what they are doing this year.

Those on the Old Pension get different parts of it paid at different rates with only the "basic" Pension increasing with CPI.  However the full New Pension which started with a basic pension equal to the Old Pension + Pension Credit will all rise with CPI while the triple lock is in action so the gap between the old pension and the new one will gradually increase.

I think!
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2018, 08:48:27 AM by Undercover Pensioner »
Poverty exists, not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

katkin11

« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2018, 10:43:51 PM »
i think it has been stopped now brian friend of mine has just reached pension age she was told it dosent get paid anymore

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »

It has not been stopped katkin but the basic level of the new state pension was set at a higher level than the eligibility level for Pension Credit so more people will be getting a pension above this level.  However, not everyone will qualify for the full basic level and if their total income is below Pension Credit eligibility they will still be able to claim it.

For you the basic state pension is set lower than it is for your friend who will have had to waited longer to get her pension but gets a higher 'basic'
Poverty exists, not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Bumping this up for katkin as it fell off the bottom of my list (so probably the same for you) very quickly.