Author Topic: Do you remember buying your first pair of levi's?  (Read 546 times)

Floydian

Do you remember buying your first pair of levi's?
« on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
I remember sitting next to this lad at school, 1970. We were both 15. He excitedly told me it was his birthday that day and his dad was going to meet him outside school and take him into town and treat him to these great jeans that cost 49/11! I nearly fell off my chair, the jeans i had on (like most of the lads in our school) cost about ten bob! Who the hell pays nearly 50 shillings for a pair of jeans??? Anyway, next day he turns up in these really cool "paralell" jeans. I thought they were amazing and vowed right there that one day i too will own a pair. There was no way my parents could buy me some, and i certainly couldn't save that sort of money at that time.  I had to wait several months, until i started work. My first wage was six guineas and my mam said i could keep it ("but don't tell your dad..."). I went into town and bought these jeans that i had longed for for months. They were now sixty five shillings! I rushed home with them, put them on and sat in the bath for the magical "shrink to fit" miracle to happen (it never did). I remember trying to wring them out and left them over the copper hot water cylinder of our immersion heater to dry. I couldn't wait and after about an hour i put them on and went round to my mates house to show 'em off! I remember sitting in front of their electric fire and they were still so damp they started steaming (and my legs were blue from the dye coming out!)
I've always worn levis jeans although like most things the quality isn't nearly as good as they used to be. They're still quite pricey too, i think the last pair of 501's (button fly!) i bought were about sixty quid....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

minniemouse

Re: Do you remember buying your first pair of levi's?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2018, 09:56:42 PM »
I remember buying a pair of jeans (can't remember the name).  When I wore them at home my dad wasn't very pleased.  He thought they were suggestive because they had a zip up the front, the same as mens. ;D   ;D  Before then womens trousers always zipped at the side.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.