Author Topic: A lesson learned for life.  (Read 925 times)

Floydian

A lesson learned for life.
« on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »
All we ever wanted to do when we were kids was play football (mostly), up to us being about 14 then it was replaced by chasing girls (i was pretty hopeless at both but thats another story, lol). Anyway there was this family that lived a bit further up our street and whose house we had to pass to get to the fields, each sunday they had a visit from some friends who were jewish, we'd see their son just generally playing around in the garden. There was usually about six of us lads that went about together, none of us were tough or hard or bullies but any one of us could have made mincemeat out of this kid. In that cruel callous way that kids sometimes did then we'd shout all sorts of ignorant insults at him as we passed. He'd just ignore us and go inside. One particular time though, as we passed he stood his ground (the garden gate was closed so he had a bit of a safety barrier), The insults started flying from us, (me included, I'm ashamed to say). The lad just looked at us and said "yes, yes I'm jewish.... and proud of it!" Well we didn't know what to say or do, here was this meek looking lad putting us all in our place, there was an embarrassed silence until one of us asked if he liked football and would he fancy a kickabout with us? He excitedly told us to wait while he asked his mum, coming back dejected because she wouldn't let him as he had his "good" clothes on. The following week he joined in with us though, having come prepared. A nicer more genteel lad you couldn't have wished to have met. I'm still a little embarassed about how we treated him previously, and its stayed with me all my life (which is how come i remember all these finer details) I don't know about the rest of our "gang" but in that one act, that boy certainly taught me a life lesson about courage and standing up for your beliefs.
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

sparky

Re: A lesson learned for life.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
Nah, sod the football, I was chasing girls much earlier than 14, mind you did not have a clue what to do if I caught one.

Floydian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »
I still chase them now, but only downhill, lol.  :)
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Alfred

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »

Hi floydian, and sparky,

Many years past as a teenager i too joined a gang, but we use to cycle all over the place taking a packed lunch, with us sandwiches, lemonade, maps, puncture outfits,even lamps for the bike particularly if it came over dark, on the way home, after a long days cycling,

even a light weight mac just in case of rain, and sunshades for bright sun shine, and we went up to a radius of around 80 miles . so if one of us got a punctures the others would rally round and soon we were on our way ,

i think the lesson i learned is that we all need friends and at times they are a blessing to have for friendship and support , basically it was if some one needed help and we were able to assist them then we did, which prepared us for the future as adults,

sparky

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
Floydian, I have a similar predicament, whereas when I was young, as I pointed out, I would not have known what to do if I caught one, Now I have completely forgotten what to do or why I was chasing them.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
Sparky I love to hear you are in my state...I have wrestled all a.m. To sort and pay bills then wonder why!? In the days of yore we no doubt juggled two lives and made a fortune building a business😄 I struggle now to open a jar!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.