Author Topic: films & nostalgia,  (Read 11615 times)

crabbyob

Re: films & nostalgia,
« Reply #90 on: Jun 02, 2018, 06:00:56 PM »
i must admit i agree, i dont disagree with it i just dont want it on my screen
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #91 on: Jun 02, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
It's usually signposted in the tv paper if a film or something is BSL enhanced.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Floydian

« Reply #92 on: Jun 02, 2018, 06:40:25 PM »
i must admit i agree, i dont disagree with it i just dont want it on my screen
Same here, and you'd think with today's technology there'd be an option to select or deselect the facility...
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

crabbyob

« Reply #93 on: Jun 02, 2018, 06:42:58 PM »
and from their point of view, it might be nice to have it on things they actually want to see, apart from  the party conferences
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Floydian

« Reply #94 on: Jun 02, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Indeed. What I've never been able to understand is why the signer has to pull those strange faces, i know they have to be expressive but a lot of them look a bit ridiculous...

"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #95 on: Jun 02, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »
the blackboard jungle
i cant remember if rock around the clock was one of the featured tunes,
but i do believe that the teenagers started dancing at that movie...
Yes, I saw it - was intrigued that the dancers suddenly know all these new moves! Guess they were just building on jitterbug.This long after the event, I'd forgotten all about it until you posted.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

crabbyob

« Reply #96 on: Jun 02, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »
i thought the same... but i couldnt jitter-bug either....sob

Johned

« Reply #97 on: Jun 02, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
In the late forties and early fifties, I missed a lot of the then current films as in the very minor but pretentious public school I attended, we were not allowed to go to the cinema in term time only first house on a Saturday evening.  Even now in my eighties, I am pleased to see one of those old pot boilers I missed.  Last night a riveting Gainsborough picture recorded from the TV starring Phyllis Calvert, Michael Rennie, John McCallum and Hubert Gregg.  Could hear every word of the dialogue without my hearing aids.  An interesting story yet the name of the film escapes me; sobering thought though that everyone in the film is now no longer with us.  I read only recently that Michael Rennie who lived in Hollywood and was the TV series "Third Man" came over to visit his relatives in Yorkshire and unexpectedly keeled over and died there. 

zoony

« Reply #98 on: Jun 02, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
It's called The Yorkshire Drop and not spoken of in those parts. 8)
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Floydian

« Reply #99 on: Jun 02, 2018, 10:28:08 PM »
In the late forties and early fifties, I missed a lot of the then current films as in the very minor but pretentious public school I attended, we were not allowed to go to the cinema in term time only first house on a Saturday evening.  Even now in my eighties, I am pleased to see one of those old pot boilers I missed.  Last night a riveting Gainsborough picture recorded from the TV starring Phyllis Calvert, Michael Rennie, John McCallum and Hubert Gregg.  Could hear every word of the dialogue without my hearing aids.  An interesting story yet the name of the film escapes me; sobering thought though that everyone in the film is now no longer with us.  I read only recently that Michael Rennie who lived in Hollywood and was the TV series "Third Man" came over to visit his relatives in Yorkshire and unexpectedly keeled over and died there.
I've looked into it for you Johned and it sounds like 'the root of all evil'. 1947.  :)
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

crabbyob

« Reply #100 on: Jun 03, 2018, 07:06:31 AM »
John McCallum emigrated to Australia and was big in TV over there along with his wife the wonderfully named 'Googie Withers'....

Johned

« Reply #101 on: Jun 04, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »
You are correct Floydian "The Root of all Evil".  In the credits John McCallum was listed as John McCullum I noticed.  Watched another good one last night with Ann Todd, a true story of a Scottish lady who was found "not proven" for the murder of a lover back in 1857.  They don't make 'em like that anymore!

Floydian

« Reply #102 on: Jun 04, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
Ah nothing like watching a good 'ol black and whiter on a dark, rainy sunday afternoon to take you back in time. All I'd need to add is the smell of fresh "mary baker" buns wafting in from the kitchen....  :) 
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Johned

« Reply #103 on: Jun 05, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
Many years ago Floydian during my army reserve training in Southampton, we had an afternoon off so I adjourned to the local Odeon to see "Seance on a wet afternoon" as I recall, starring Richard Attenborough, almost a parody on your "dark, rainy Sunday afternoon!"  What a miserable, depressing film, the gloom and morbidity compounded by a poor gentleman sitting immediately in front of us who suddenly experienced an epileptic seizure.  Fortunately he had a companion who tended to him in is distress.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #104 on: Jun 09, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »
Eunice Gayson, the very first Bond Girl, has just died, aged 90
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!