Author Topic: films & nostalgia,  (Read 11654 times)

Alfred

films & nostalgia,
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »

Thinking back to the past when for example going to the pictures was then it its heyday and Saturday nights was the time when many of us went to see the latest block buster film, on show.

and for many of us after all that time think back and smile at the films  that we went to see and enjoyed, and for many of us even more than one film that seemed to stay in our minds,

i liked films and although i liked action films, ones although dated from the (Scotland yard series then by Edgar lustgarten,  all true stories , ) im sure you too could name many more too, so will you tell us your favourites,

Ashy

Re: films & nostalgia,
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »
There was some remarkable talent in the films, not only have they recorded some of the finest actors and actresses we are ever likely to see, but also the work of the somewhat unsung talented people who made the scenery and directed the theatrical presentation. Modern cinema is often made "green screen" where most of the set is added after the actors have been filmed, not that there is any film these days.

Johned

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
I do not think there are any so called "stars" these days with the charisma and talent of those in the past.  Hollywood seems to put out little else but computer animated cartoons, what actors so called, they possess, half the time I cannot discern just what they are saying.  If a British actor plays the lead, then I will go to the pictures, as invariably the diction is understandable except for, dare I name him, Tom Hardy who I find unintelligible.  There again, back in the day, Marlon Brando was guilty of the same so perhaps they both subscribe in their different generations to a particular acting genre?

Michael Rolls

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:30 AM »
Bane of my life trying to understand what actors and, particularly actresses, are saying in modern productions. If they aren't mumbling, then like as not teh diction os overpowered by background music. Just to take two examples - one of my favourite films is the 1960 Magnificent Seven. There was a remake a year or so ago whihc I made the mistake of watching. Not only was the film appallingly bad, but if I could understand 40% of what was being said I was doing well. In the 1960 version every word comes across loud and clear.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

zoony

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
It's unfair to compare the films of yesteryear which many enjoyed in their youth, to modern films produced for modern audiences. There are great films made today and there are poor ones just as there've always been. Bad ones get forgotten, black and white or otherwise, and good ones stick in the mind.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »
It's unfair to compare the films of yesteryear which many enjoyed in their youth, to modern films produced for modern audiences. There are great films made today and there are poor ones just as there've always been. Bad ones get forgotten, black and white or otherwise, and good ones stick in the mind.
Why? Clarity of diction is an absolute, not a relative.
Mike

minniemouse

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »
It seems a trend for them to mumble now.  Years ago Marlon Brando was the culprit. 
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

zoony

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
Mike. The amount of compression used in the sound production these days doesn't do soundtracks any favours when heard through small speakers. Because of advances in recording techniques and microphones, actors are encouraged to speak normally, whether loudly or quietly, which, as I said, doesn't do soundtracks any favours when the bottom end is muddy.

cowboy wisdom.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 04:16:31 PM »
Then how come after all these years of technological improvements, old films like Casablanca, The Cruel Sea, and others of that era can be heard perfectly clearly on both my TVs, yet modern films are an audible mess? You seem to be saying that all these advances have actually made things worse - and don't forget, in this day and age far fewer people go to the cinema than watch films on TV
Mike

zoony

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Fair enough. I have very few problems hearing soundtracks and if I do I blame the editors more than the actors.

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

Re: Films & Nostalgia.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 09:28:14 PM »
Then how come after all these years of technological improvements, old films like Casablanca, The Cruel Sea, and others of that era can be heard perfectly clearly on both my TVs, yet modern films are an audible mess? You seem to be saying that all these advances have actually made things worse - and don't forget, in this day and age far fewer people go to the cinema than watch films on TV
Mike

Because, as zoony has tried to explain, it's all down to the digital sound recording which is designed for cinema sound systems.

If I play a film, say Avatar, with a digitally recorded soundtrack through our TV's sound bar system & switch between the TV & the soundbar it's like chalk & cheese.

The Cruel Sea & Casablanca will most likely be the original analogue soundtracks with possibly a bit of enhancement.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Michael Rolls

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
so the new style is aimed at a minority market? Doesn't seem the most sensible policy.
Mike

Phil

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »
so the new style is aimed at a minority market? Doesn't seem the most sensible policy.
Mike

If that's how you want to think of it.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Michael Rolls

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
I do. In 2017 there were 170.6 million cinema attendances in the UK - that's an average of each person attending a cinema about three times a year. How does that compare with the number of times the average person switches on the TV?
Mike

Phil

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
I do. In 2017 there were 170.6 million cinema attendances in the UK - that's an average of each person attending a cinema about three times a year. How does that compare with the number of times the average person switches on the TV?
Mike

It bears no comparison whatsoever.

Please read my signature strip.

Bye.