Author Topic: films & nostalgia,  (Read 11618 times)

Floydian

Re: films & nostalgia,
« Reply #120 on: Jun 10, 2018, 03:31:51 PM »
It was shaken not stirred...
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Michael Rolls

« Reply #121 on: Jun 13, 2018, 06:37:12 AM »
I've always been intrigued by the professional names used by some actors and actresses - I wonder how well John Wayne would have fared had he kept to his given name of Marian Morrison (oddly enough, I once had a member of staff - female - called Marian Morrison). Or Doris Day as Doris Kapelhoff (may have misspelt that). Dino Paul Crocetti  aka Dean Martin.
I'm also intrigued that for such a staunch nationalist, Sean Connery can’t spell his own name – or if he can, he lets it be misspelt all the time. In Scots Gaelic SEAN translates as ‘old’. The name should be spelt Seŕn.
Not a lot of people know that!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Johned

« Reply #122 on: Jun 13, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
Boris Karloff was William Pratt; Ray Milland was Reginald Truscott-Jones.

crabbyob

« Reply #123 on: Jun 15, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
and i believe the Scottish Bonds christian name was Thomas...AKA Big Tam
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Bill Stickers

« Reply #124 on: Jun 15, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »
Mike. The amount of compression used in the sound production these days doesn't do soundtracks any favours when heard through small speakers. Because of advances in recording techniques and microphones, actors are encouraged to speak normally, whether loudly or quietly, which, as I said, doesn't do soundtracks any favours when the bottom end is muddy.

Thank you Zoony, I have two audio set ups at home and the one with true surround sound reacts much better to modern films as you explain. In fact at times the Dogs flee the room, when special effects reverberate. It also has the co-benefit of waking me up at these stages also!

Johned

« Reply #125 on: Jun 15, 2018, 09:43:47 PM »
Michael Caine was Maurice Micklewhite.  In his memoirs he wrote that he was sitting on a bench in Leicester Square mulling over a satisfactory stage name when glancing up he saw on the Odeon Cinema the posters and blurb for the film "The Caine Mutiny" starring Humphrey Bogart et al and straight away he was inspired!  Michael Caine he became.  I wonder what these individuals are called within the bosom of their families.  Are they still referred to by their real names or by their "new" names; must be quite confusing at times.  Going off at a tangent, was not the jazz instrumentalist Humphrey Lyttleton in reality H.Lyttleton-Featherstonehaugh?

Bill Stickers

« Reply #126 on: Jun 16, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »
Michael Caine was Maurice Micklewhite.  In his memoirs he wrote that he was sitting on a bench in Leicester Square mulling over a satisfactory stage name when glancing up he saw on the Odeon Cinema the posters and blurb for the film "The Caine Mutiny" starring Humphrey Bogart et al and straight away he was inspired!  Michael Caine he became.  I wonder what these individuals are called within the bosom of their families.  Are they still referred to by their real names or by their "new" names; must be quite confusing at times.  Going off at a tangent, was not the jazz instrumentalist Humphrey Lyttleton in reality H.Lyttleton-Featherstonehaugh?

Yes he was and I think his father taught at Eton. Also a very gifted cartoonist. I suppose simple 'Humph' really suited him - a charming witty man.