Author Topic: Billy Graham dies at 99  (Read 965 times)

Ashy

Billy Graham dies at 99
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »
R.I.P.

Phil

Re: Billy Graham dies at 99
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:08:24 AM »
After all his campaigning you'd have thought he'd have been allowed to reach 100.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Traveller

Re: Billy Graham dies at 99
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
I also recall in the 1960's & 70's there was another evangelical preacher called Leslie Hale.  He lived the 'high life' and raised large amounts of money through his powers of oratory. Of course some people considered him to be little more than a con man and eventually his organisation was shaken by financial scandal. 

Not to be defeated, "God called him to preach in the USA", so he went there and prayed for an economic miracle where people would give him lots of money to spread the word and build a "super church".

Not comparing him to Billy Graham, but it strikes me that throughout history, there have been people who could sway large crowds with their powers of speech...Adolf Hitler for one.  We must be careful of such people and not let them influence our personal beliefs.

Billy Graham lived to a ripe old age. I wonder over those years how many people  thought, I believed him at the time, but in the end it was only words.

You'll have had your tea.