Author Topic: Religion may become extinct in nine nations,  (Read 2075 times)

caminito

Religion may become extinct in nine nations,
« on: Mar 22, 2011, 11:27:37 AM »
A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

"In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%," Dr Wiener said.

Chrisjay

Re: Religion may become extinct in nine nations,
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
I am surprised Ireland was in there

avalonmpk2

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Why is it taking sensible people so long to realise what clap-trap this mumbo jumbo is , and that it is the cause of nearly all strife on this planet - expedite please!
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Chrisjay

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »
Funny Avalon I was just thinking of a reply and pondering that most wars historically have been caused by religion and in modern times I believe oil when you posted.

caminito

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2011, 08:36:42 PM »
The new religion ............ Greed  :o

Chrisjay

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:28:16 PM »
You can add to that selfishness and indifference  :-\

cheddar-caveman

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
Ah, just read the title properly! Oh well, never mind, this still applies!

I don't think the statement "religion will be extinct" is true when they only surveyed "Christian" countries.

Try surveying Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran etc and believe me Islam is very much alive.

They should have said that Christianity will be extinct, which is decidedly possible as we are very lax in our practice of it (if you are a Christian) however, Islam is expanding at a frightening pace because they are prepared to kill for their religion. It is probable that uk will be Muslim in the not too distant future as we are so welcoming to everybody, and so afraid of offending "human rights" that we won't get rid of the fanatics spreading this very dangerous religion.
This post is my opinion, which you may not like, but I'm entitled to it.
mjodeard@gmail.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63508234@N06/with/255625

Chrisjay

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
The religion itself is not dangerous only the fanatics who interpret it to justify their own causes - the Koran actually preaches peace and does not advocate killing in either the manner or the causes the fanatics claim.

I do agree though that this country will become a Muslim country and I think we will all be moving to the Isle of Man as Christians will fit comfortably on that small island in the not to distant future.

caminito

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »
My mother was a sunday school teacher and I went to church regularly until my mid teens.
My wife was brought up in what is called High Church.
Now we only go to church for weddings , funerals or baptisms .Probably like most people who call themselves C of E ?
However , I do try to live a life following the ideals of Christianity. Not all , again like most others !

As far as the UK becoming a Muslim state , I think that there will be an almighty backlash from the "infidels" before that could happen!

Anyway ,none of us are perfect  ::)

Every week, the country vicar would visit the bishop. They would drink Earl Grey tea and eat delicate cucumber sandwiches in neat little triangles with the crusts cut off.

One day, the vicar was late for his appointment. He eventually arrived, very red of face.

"My dear boy, whatever is the matter?" asked the bishop.

"My bicycle has been stolen!" exclaimed the vicar with great indignation. "I am sure that one of my parishoners has taken it, but I have no idea which one."

"Then you need to use an old trick that I used to use when I was a vicar," said the bishop. "This Sunday you should preach a sermon about the ten commandments. And when you get to "thou shalt not steal", you should pause a while and look in the face of each of your flock. The one who cannot meet your eye is the one who has stolen your bicycle."

"I will," said the vicar.

The week passed in a sepia-tinged haze, and the time came around for the vicar to see the bishop again. And this he was riding his bicycle again.

"I see that my plan worked," said the bishop with more than a hint of smug old-fox-can-still-teach-a-young-dog-new tricks tone in his voice.

"Not quite," replied the vicar. "I did as you asked. I told a sermon about the ten commandments."

"And?"

"When I got to 'thou shalt not commit adultery', I remembered where I had left my bike."
 ;D

avalonmpk2

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
How about we learn to live within our means and there by take the path to contentment.
Richard Lovelace

Chrisjay

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2011, 07:47:38 AM »
Great if our 'means' are sufficient - today's news says 'Heat or Eat Crisis' and may families are having to cut back on food in order to heat their homes and this is apparently worse for single people. As usual no mention of pensioners but I have been talking to several retired neighbours here and they are all saying at the end of the month they used to have a little left over for the odd treat now there is nothing left and it is depressing when you have worked all your lives.
One neighbour used to be the mine search and rescue leader and although he worked in a very stressful job his pension from the mines is very poor compared to say the police or armed forces. That cannot be right we do need a guaranteed pension across the board that is livable without begging.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:36:22 AM »
The trend toward obesity in the populous belies this fact, people are over indulging and taking too little exercise - ask yourself this why is there too much packaging on the majority foodstuffs in many cases the cost of advertising and packaging is more than the contents . . . there are hundreds of other examples that I'm sure you will all recognise, all would if avoided bring down the cost of living considerably. People sould make provision for their retirement eg. why spend money on attending pop concerts and watching prima dona 'sports persons' the amount of money saved would go a long way towards a decent pension.
Richard Lovelace

caminito

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:22:31 AM »

//// The trend toward obesity in the populous belies this fact, people are over indulging and taking too little exercise ///-

I think that it not so much the quantity but the quality of the food consumed .  Burgers, Pizzas , take aways , frozen meals etc.
To much fat & additives.

/// ask yourself this why is there too much packaging on the majority foodstuffs in many cases the cost of advertising and packaging is    more than the contents . .///

Quite agree , Packaging is an enormous problem ,especially all the plastic used . Landfill sites are running out of space and burning it brings other pollution problems !

///there are hundreds of other examples that I'm sure you will all recognise, all would if avoided bring down the cost of living considerably. People sould make provision for their retirement eg. why spend money on attending pop concerts and watching prima dona 'sports persons' the amount of money saved would go a long way towards a decent pension.///

This is a difficult question .I certainly will not pay the outrageous prices asked for tickets for a pop concert or a football match .
BUT , what a person spends on entertainment is a personal decision.
Smoking ,drinking , clothes ( designer labels) , CDs & DVDs , cinema , concerts , sports matches , the latest electronic gadget , etc
and the holiday in the sun ( or 2 or 3 )
Some people spend more on a saturday night at a club ,than some spend on a week's food bill !
What about those that choose to run a big car and only use it to pop to the local shops !

Jon King

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »
Religion is the root of all wars.  ???

avalonmpk2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
Agree 100 per cent
Richard Lovelace