Author Topic: Why make simple things so complicated?  (Read 2974 times)

zoony

Re: Why make simple things so complicated?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
My naivete works for me. My desktop does everything that I need a computer for, mostly films, tv, some music, radio and sports, and that's all I need. Never been interested in gadgets at all. It was many years before I accepted the need to amplify my guitar with something other than just a hand-mic.. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Coastal

« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
I buy prepared meals, and I have a microwave, but I only nuke them when it states "For the best results microwave" on the cooking instructions, I would say that the majority of meals I buy are oven jobs, cottage pie, liver & bacon, spag bol etc,
I think there is probably a larger choice of microwave meals on offer.
The more you pay for a microwave the fancier they get, probably better off with one of the "basic" cheaper models, like a Cookworks from Argos.

A old work colleague of mine, once microwaved a pie using the oven times, it didn't end well.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

Phil

« Reply #17 on: Apr 08, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »
Why make simple things so complicated?

More functions only equals more complicated to the technophobes.

To use your microwave example, we have a Panasonic combi microwave, oven & grill.

It's no more complicated to use than it would be to use a separate microwave, a separate, oven & a separate grill.

In fact it's easier to use because it will automatically cook things such as microwaveable jacket potatoes that will be nice & crisp whereas they'd just be hot & soggy with just a microwave unless you bought & used the various additional gadgets that will crisp things in a standard microwave.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Traveller

« Reply #18 on: Apr 08, 2018, 09:39:38 AM »
"More functions only equals more complicated to the technophobes."

I disagree with that. It often comes down to being given little choice other than to accept functions that you don't want, don't need and will never use - just to get the basic functions that you do want. 

I enjoy cooking and only very rarely do I buy any sort of "ready meal".  A microwave is good for cooking a few things, but I use it mainly for reheating and defrosting.   The problem is that I want a slightly larger one than most basic models, and they seem to come with a whole range of options that I will never use.

There is a similar situation with my wife's car. What use does anyone have for a slide show of photographs on the "Info-mation" screen - to name but one useless option? 

You can argue that it doesn't matter if you don't use them, but I ask "why should I pay for things I don't want just to get the bits that I do"?

I'll just throw in for good measure, that after studying engineering at university, I worked for 30 years in electronics and IT.  As an engineer, my job involved testing and debugging newly built large mainframe computers.  None of your downloading an "app" to your 10G thick phone - this was "real" programming.  You wrote diagnostic loops and entered them in hex straight into 'core', set up the registers etc.. and "hit the tit" as we put it.  Often, you included a branch on error to the address "dead". A mouse was something that ate cheese and was chased by cats. ;)
You'll have had your tea.

Phil

« Reply #19 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »

"More functions only equals more complicated to the technophobes."

I disagree with that. It often comes down to being given little choice other than to accept functions that you don't want, don't need and will never use - just to get the basic functions that you do want. 

I enjoy cooking and only very rarely do I buy any sort of "ready meal".  A microwave is good for cooking a few things, but I use it mainly for reheating and defrosting.   The problem is that I want a slightly larger one than most basic models, and they seem to come with a whole range of options that I will never use.

There is a similar situation with my wife's car. What use does anyone have for a slide show of photographs on the "Info-mation" screen - to name but one useless option? 

You can argue that it doesn't matter if you don't use them, but I ask "why should I pay for things I don't want just to get the bits that I do"?

I'll just throw in for good measure, that after studying engineering at university, I worked for 30 years in electronics and IT.  As an engineer, my job involved testing and debugging newly built large mainframe computers.  None of your downloading an "app" to your 10G thick phone - this was "real" programming.  You wrote diagnostic loops and entered them in hex straight into 'core', set up the registers etc.. and "hit the tit" as we put it.  Often, you included a branch on error to the address "dead". A mouse was something that ate cheese and was chased by cats. ;)

The guy's who worked on the original wooden wheels which were lubricated by chucking water on them to keep them cool probably decried the development of bearings.

There'll never be any shortage of 'we used to do it this way' blokes but I bet you're glad that you can have an anaesthetic instead of biting on a rag to dull the pain.

The fact that you don't want all the features on your car's display or microwave doesn't mean that nobody wants them.

I don't want 80% of the channels on my TV but that's no reason for them not to be included.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Coastal

« Reply #20 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:38:41 AM »

Only 80% of channels you don't want  ;D with me it's more like 90%
It was a problem on the Sky Q box, but now they have reintroduced the "favourites" in the on screen guide, it's made life a lot easier, before that I had to sort through litteraly hundreds of channels, some I didn't want, and even more that I couldn't watch because they aren't in my program package (sport, movies etc)
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

fortyone

« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »
I bought a cheap one from Morrisons about 5-6 yrs ago. No bells or whistles but it works properly. I rather wish they wouldn't put instructions for micro-waving pies on the packaging. Only did it once and it was horrible.
You need a new one with an inbuilt crisping heater to do that. Some of them have all sorts of programs allowing you to cook many dishes far quicker and costing less than conventional ovens :)

Just think - if you had one of those it would give you something else to complain is far too complicated.

Nothing new about that though...

zoony

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
You need a new one with an inbuilt crisping heater to do that. Some of them have all sorts of programs allowing you to cook many dishes far quicker and costing less than conventional ovens :)

Just think - if you had one of those it would give you something else to complain is far too complicated.

How rude. Was I complaining? No, I was adding a comment to a complaint. I have a perfectly good oven for crisping up a pie...it does a good job and it's already paid for.

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

That's we always buy a combi-oven.

Set the program, set the weight & the oven cooks the food to perfection automatically.

It can cook some foods quicker than our hardly ever used conventional oven takes to warm up & it's a lower wattage.

It must have about paid for itself in saved electricity over the 8 years we've had it.

fortyone

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »
How rude.
you take the hump far too easily zoony. I'll remember to not bother replying to your posts in future.

crabbyob

« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2018, 04:30:21 PM »
yes we refuse to take cooking hints from a guitar plucking...lol... croo...oops your not even a crooner... so what are you? old Zoon if not a crooner?... a Zooner
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #26 on: Apr 09, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »
Not sure ol' crab but certainly not a crooner! ;D ...These days, maybe a croaker..

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #27 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:16:55 PM »
i wish i could croak like you....lol
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:39:04 PM »
It can be arranged.. 8)

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
i used to be able to yodell might that help