Author Topic: Elizabeth Taylor dies today  (Read 2142 times)

Chrisjay

Elizabeth Taylor dies today
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 02:38:49 PM »
Dame Elizabeth Taylor, one of the 20th Century's biggest movie stars, has died in Los Angeles at the age of 79.

The double Oscar-winning actress had a long history of ill health and was being treated for symptoms of congestive heart failure.

Her four children were with her when she died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, her publicist said.

In a statement, her son Michael Wilding called her "an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest".

"We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it," he continued.

"Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts."

Continue reading the main story
“
Start Quote
We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it”
End Quote
Michael Wilding
 Dame Elizabeth's most famous films included National Velvet, Cleopatra and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

She was equally well-known for her glamour and film partnership with Richard Burton, one of seven husbands.

In her prime, she was arguably one of the world's greatest actresses and most beautiful women.

Her colourful private life, screen success and Aids charity work ensured she was never far from the spotlight since finding fame at the age of 12.

The peak of her film career came in the 1950s and 1960s, with four Oscar nominations in a row from 1958 to 1961.

She lost out in her first three attempts - for Raintree County, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Suddenly, Last Summer - but triumphed at her fourth attempt with Butterfield 8.

She won two Academy Awards over the course of her career Her second Oscar came in 1967 for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, one of 12 films with Burton.

She met the actor while filming 1963's Cleopatra - which became notorious as one of the most expensive films of all time, but which also sparked one of Hollywood's greatest romances.

Taylor had already been married four times - to Conrad Hilton Jr, Michael Wilding, Michael Todd and Eddie Fisher - before she wed Burton in 1964.

Their tempestuous relationship saw them divorce and remarry in 1975 before she moved on to further marriages with John W Warner and Larry Fortensky.

Her health problems began with a fall while filming her first hit film, National Velvet, which led to a lifetime of back problems.

A rare strain of pneumonia almost killed her in 1961 and she also battled addictions to alcohol and painkillers.

In the 1990s, she endured two hip replacement operations and another near-fatal bout of pneumonia and survived surgery for a benign brain tumour in 1997.

In 2004, it was revealed that she was suffering from congestive heart failure, with symptoms including fatigue and shortness of breath, and scoliosis, which twisted her spine.

But she continued to campaign for her Aids charity, which she set up in 1991 after the death of her friend and co-star Rock Hudson.

In addition to her four children - Michael Wilding, Christopher Wilding, Liza Todd and Maria Burton - Dame Elizabeth is survived by 10 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

A private family funeral will be held later this week. Instead of flowers, the family has asked that contributions be made to the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation.

caminito

Re: Elizabeth Taylor dies today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Another one of our generation passes away !
Jet Harris ( the Shadows ) died a couple of days ago aged 71  .
It seems to be that Eighty is a benchmark when most pop their clogs ,for one reason or another !
So, we are like the snowball rolling down the hill ,gathering speed , until .......  ???

Being cheerful keeps me going  ::)

Chrisjay

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:01:26 PM »
I know its worrying when our idols from when we were younger start to pop their clogs as we know we will follow a few years later but in your case many years as only the good die young  ;D ;D

caminito

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
When I'm good .I'm very very good and when I'm bad ........... I'm better ! ::)

avalonmpk2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
What was her real age ?
Stone walls do not a prison make nor iron bars a cage.
Richard Lovelace
DO NOT FORGET TO LOG OFF - REMOVE COOKIES

Chrisjay

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
I think it was reported she was 79 but probably 10 years older I mean with all those husbands its bound to have taken its toll on her  ;D

Gennaio

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
I admire this illustrious old Dame - what a character  :) She piled into AIDS relief in the 80's, prior to which she made so many movies (in between her marriages); a lot of which may have been the start of some romances at the "cinema", in the back row. My memory is at Leicester Square, London, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I got engaged that evening in 1964.

Let's hear about your thoughts.

Chrisjay

« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »
National Velvet I was young but I remember crying as it was so moving and she was the beauty of her time.  It is nice that all the photo's are of her in her prime.

caminito

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:48:24 PM »
Actually ,I was never a big fan of Liz .
I prefered the beauty and the acting of other actresses !
With all her lovers and husbands , if she lived on a  council estate instead of Hollywood ,the Daily Mail/ Sun would probably have called her
some choice names ?
Ex Alcoholic , Prescription drugs dependent , she certainly "lived her life to the full" .Which is a nice way of saying she was  out of control for most of it , until age and ill health stopped her in her tracks !
Sorry to not fall in with the myth created by the media !
 :o

Chrisjay

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
Let's hear about your thoughts.

Never speak ill of the dead! :-X

caminito

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »
Gennaio/Chris .
I was not intentionally being flippant or facetious in my reply.
I honestly do not understand this fascination surrounding movie and pop "stars". The media calls everybody a star ,so they had to create the expression "superstar"!. Even catwalk models are now part of this media assault !
There seems to be double standards applied to these celebs . If "Kylie " on the local council estate behaves like them ,she is called a slapper. ,whereas the "superstar " is said to be a hellraiser or "they are living life to the full"!
There used to be some secrecy and manipulation of their lives by the studios etc . (Rock Hudson an example ) . Now we have the blow by blow details of their Alcohol ,drug or sex problems ! Even their inside leg measurement is noted !
They, mostly, seem to swop partners like we swop our shoes !
Another world has been created by the awards that they shower on themselves. BAFTA , OSCARS etc. How about "Heart Surgeon of the year" or even "plumber of the year" Somebody useful ?
It's just a highly paid job that let's them indulge themselves and the media follows them around because the public seems to be fascinated by the gossip !
I read an interesting article a few years back , that said that the public think that they know these "stars" personally because of imformation in the press etc.
Recently "Jordan" has been criticised for her marriages and lovers. Well she hasn't caught up with Liz yet !
The only difference between them is that Liz was a good actress and Jordan is a good ....  ???

Anyway ,each to their own ,  I am only interested in the quality of the film or the record , Did I enjoy it .Was it worth the money .

Chrisjay

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »
Gennaio/Chris .
I was not intentionally being flippant or facetious in my reply.

Speaking for me I know you were not being flippant - one of the problems with the internet, email and forums is it is difficult to always get the true gist of what someone is saying as you can face to face because you can ask questions and get answers quicker while the conversation is still there on the table so to speak.

As to recognising true stars of the community in Swansea the radio station every years holds a 'of the year' awards ceremony with sponsors for say Mum of the Year (which I always sponsored) there was the obvious Dad of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, Carer of the Year even a Child of the Year recognising a child who has overcome huge difficulties.  So community awards are out there but unfortunately do not get the prominence that 'stars' get.

avalonmpk2

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
Speaking for me I know you were not being flippant - one of the problems with the internet, email and forums is it is difficult to always get the true gist of what someone is saying as you can face to face because you can ask questions and get answers quicker while the conversation is still there on the table so to speak.

Our generation have these problems what about the following generations Can't spell, have absolutely no sense of grammar,diction which is less clear than that heard in a hog pen, and punctuation non existant!

As for the old biddy I can remember reading about her celebrating her 21st on or about my own16 birthday and that takes her into her eighties!]

And now the system is playing silly beggars or it's me too many fingers in the wrong place!
Richard Lovelace

caminito

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor was born in London, the second child of Francis Lenn Taylor and Sara Viola Warmbrodt (1895–1994), who were Americans residing in England. Taylor's older brother, Howard Taylor, was born in 1929.[5] Her parents were originally from Arkansas City, Kansas. Francis Taylor was an art dealer, and Sara was a former actress whose stage name was "Sara Sothern." Sothern retired from the stage when she and Francis married in 1926 in New York City. Taylor's two first names are in honor of her paternal grandmother, Elizabeth Mary (Rosemond) Taylor. A dual citizen of the United Kingdom and the United States, she was born a British subject through her birth on British soil and an American citizen through her parents.[citation needed] She reportedly sought, in 1965, to renounce her United States citizenship, to wit: "Though never accepted by the State Department, Liz renounced in 1965. Attempting to shield much of her European income from U.S. taxes, Liz wished to become solely a British citizen. According to news reports at the time, officials denied her request when she failed to complete the renunciation oath, refusing to say that she renounced 'all allegiance to the United States of America.'

So howcome the press were labelling her a "National Treasure !  ???

avalonmpk2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
Thanks for the history lesson, I much preferred Jean Simmons -  a lady
Richard Lovelace