Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 2677 times)

Maddie Malone

Re: Smart meters
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »
That’s what they supposed to have left us Phil when they fitted our metre .
We’re the same as you here just the 2 of us most of the time .
It is nice to know we don’t have to bother about metre readings tho .

Phil

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »
That’s what they supposed to have left us Phil when they fitted our metre .
We’re the same as you here just the 2 of us most of the time .
It is nice to know we don’t have to bother about metre readings tho .

I suppose one benefit of the display is knowing what your energy bill will be.

I'll still read the meters & put the readings on my spreadsheet to check our usage against Robin Hood Energy's readings but I won't have to bother submitting them each month.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

« Reply #17 on: Apr 15, 2018, 12:02:09 PM »
Don't your energy provider make that data available online?

Traveller

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2018, 01:32:47 PM »
I got fed up with SSE phoning up to offer me a 'smart' meter.  I told them that if they called again, I would be changing supplier. I would probably become paranoid if I got a constant readout of how much electricity I was using.  I'd have to throw it into the glory hole and forget about it.

Having a 'dumb' meter is no problem.  Every quarter SSE sends me a request for a meter reading.  I read the meter and send it on-line. Once a year, a meter reader comes to check.  Works fine with no estimated bills - why change it?
You'll have had your tea.

fortyone

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
I don't understand the antagonism to them.

zoony

« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2018, 04:20:56 PM »
I asked the question cos I was curious FO...I'm pretty neutral myself..
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
Don't your energy provider make that data available online?

I know what our bill will be before Robin Hood Energy does so as soon as their bill pops up online I only have to look at the total amount to check that it's correct.

Takes far less time than wading through the 4 pages of the online pdf bill to check if the submitted meter readings were recorded correctly.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Phil

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »
I got fed up with SSE phoning up to offer me a 'smart' meter.  I told them that if they called again, I would be changing supplier. I would probably become paranoid if I got a constant readout of how much electricity I was using.  I'd have to throw it into the glory hole and forget about it.

Having a 'dumb' meter is no problem.  Every quarter SSE sends me a request for a meter reading.  I read the meter and send it on-line. Once a year, a meter reader comes to check.  Works fine with no estimated bills - why change it?

It's not a requirement to either have or to use a usage display.

I can forsee the time when people who insist on using a dumb meter will end up paying more than those who use a smart meter, just as today, people who have prepayment meters pay more than those who have credit meters.

fortyone

« Reply #23 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
I asked the question cos I was curious FO...I'm pretty neutral myself..
my post was questioning travelers which preceded it. That one isn't neutral.
I can forsee the time when people who insist on using a dumb meter will end up paying more than those who use a smart meter, just as today, people who have prepayment meters pay more than those who have credit meters.
I can forsee a time when there will be no choice. That was the governments original intent but they backed down. Then energy suppliers may decide they don't want meter readers on their staff any longer.  You get no choice over them updating meters for reason of age or inaccuracy and there may only be smart meters available in future. Their presence has no impact on the user at all.  

JCBDriver

« Reply #24 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
I have resisted having one fitted todate.
As already stated if they fit a series 1 meter you cant switch because the new company cant read the data. It happened to my neighbour as a result the switch took months rather than weeks.

My main objection is the impression that its a free service. In fact HMG are making the suppliers bear the cost which in turn means its us the customer who will pay for it in increased prices. Suppliers are not going to absorb these instillation costs. BG have already indicated this is a factor in their latest price increase.

fortyone

« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
I switched and needed a new meter.  There was no delay switching but I did wait a short time for the new meter.

This is another example of our government rushing to meet EU directives before the industry is ready and it costing consumers extra.

Phil

« Reply #26 on: Apr 17, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
I have resisted having one fitted todate.
As already stated if they fit a series 1 meter you cant switch because the new company cant read the data. It happened to my neighbour as a result the switch took months rather than weeks.

My main objection is the impression that its a free service. In fact HMG are making the suppliers bear the cost which in turn means its us the customer who will pay for it in increased prices. Suppliers are not going to absorb these instillation costs. BG have already indicated this is a factor in their latest price increase.

The energy suppliers will pass on the cost to the consumer but you'll be paying towards everyone else's smart meters as the cost is factored into the kWh usage cost.

Not having a smart meter one won't save any money, otherwise I may well have carried on with our traditional meters if I'd got to pay for our smart meters.

xetog

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
I used to manage an energy bill of £millons at a time when smart meters were unheard of so energy readings were essential.  I had them taken once every week and entered them on a spreadsheet so that I could jump on any high users.  Once having got the habit I took it up myself and have kept reading the my meters every week  for the last 35 years or so, which I guess makes me a bit of an anorak about the subject.  I don't have a smart meter in part because nobody has recently offered me one, but when I was given the opportunity I declined until they came up with a truly universal meter as I did not want to keep changing them every time I changed supplier.

My old house used to have meters indoors (although in different places), but my new one has the meters outside and although it may be easier for the meter readers, it means every Monday morning, rain or shine, I have to go outside to read the meters. I agree that they don't really help you save energy (I think Phil has it about right) but I don't like the idea that you can be cut off remotely either by design or by accident, or these days by some Russian hacker.

Mike.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

zoony

« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
Anorak Mike? More like OCD mate!  ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2018, 05:40:59 PM »
I used to manage an energy bill of £millons at a time when smart meters were unheard of so energy readings were essential.  I had them taken once every week and entered them on a spreadsheet so that I could jump on any high users.  Once having got the habit I took it up myself and have kept reading the my meters every week  for the last 35 years or so, which I guess makes me a bit of an anorak about the subject.  I don't have a smart meter in part because nobody has recently offered me one, but when I was given the opportunity I declined until they came up with a truly universal meter as I did not want to keep changing them every time I changed supplier.

My old house used to have meters indoors (although in different places), but my new one has the meters outside and although it may be easier for the meter readers, it means every Monday morning, rain or shine, I have to go outside to read the meters. I agree that they don't really help you save energy (I think Phil has it about right) but I don't like the idea that you can be cut off remotely either by design or by accident, or these days by some Russian hacker.

Mike.

I enjoy reading our meters, although I only read ours on the 12th of each month, & I will continue to do so when we have smart meters.

We could go on University Challenge.

Fred Jones - reading history
Chris Smith- reading biochemistry
Xetog & Phil - reading meters.