Author Topic: Smart meters  (Read 2676 times)

zoony

Re: Smart meters
« Reply #30 on: Apr 19, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
On balance I guess I'll happily accept one if it's universally usable but not if it's the Mk1.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

mad dog

« Reply #31 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:18:12 AM »
When in the future everyone has smart meters the power companies will be able to tell peoples power demands instantly , they can then charge not just for the electricity or gas but also extra when you use it at the peak times . We will also be told by the government that it is antisocial  and causes pollution to use electricity at tea time etc .. they will no doubt be able to limit your use when they find that they have not built enough power stations to cover the demand and will simply cut your supply off remotely.... nah I think I will resist the "free" smart meter. I don't need to know how much I am using .I use electricity when I need to and switch it off when I don't . That's good enough for me.

zoony

« Reply #32 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
...Well, nothing wrong with a healthy dose of conspiracy theory. And who's to say you're wrong? But given how awkward my meters are to access and how long it would take for such propaganda to take effect, I'll take the smart meter if and when it's offered..

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #33 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:00:16 AM »
When in the future everyone has smart meters the power companies will be able to tell peoples power demands instantly , they can then charge not just for the electricity or gas but also extra when you use it at the peak times . We will also be told by the government that it is antisocial  and causes pollution to use electricity at tea time etc .. they will no doubt be able to limit your use when they find that they have not built enough power stations to cover the demand and will simply cut your supply off remotely.... nah I think I will resist the "free" smart meter. I don't need to know how much I am using .I use electricity when I need to and switch it off when I don't . That's good enough for me.

Hmmm, I can see where you get your forum name from.

Did you think up your post on your own or did the voices tell you?
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Fred Smiff

« Reply #34 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:46:47 AM »
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

JCBDriver

« Reply #35 on: Apr 20, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
I'll take the smart meter if and when it's offered..

You dont have to wait for an offer!
If you are that keen you can request your supplier fit one.

fortyone

« Reply #36 on: Apr 20, 2018, 04:25:30 PM »
I did that for both suppliers versions that I've had so far.  Better that than constant safety checks because they think I'm on the rob. Handy to confirm I remembered to shut down properly too.

Be interesting to know if the same folks reluctant to take them are also those unwilling to swap suppliers - doing that can easily save several £hundred a year if on the default variable tariff and is very easy.

Ashy

« Reply #37 on: Apr 20, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
In fact the electricity suppliers already know how much electricity is going into an area using conventional apparatus so they don't need smart meters.

fortyone

« Reply #38 on: Apr 20, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
Nobody actually needs them.  It's another EU energy saving idea.  They apparently expect you to sit watching the real time display and rush around turning stuff off if it goes beyond a few Watts.  

zoony

« Reply #39 on: Apr 20, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »

You dont have to wait for an offer!
If you are that keen you can request your supplier fit one.

Already done JCB. Spoke to a lovely lady called Say, in customer service. Not only did she sort out the smart meter (new generation) but was also concerned about my credit build-up and is putting a £250 refund into my bank account for me as well as putting me down as a priority customer in case of any sudden power outages in my area. Also told me I have the voice of a 20 yr old!.. I'm a fan of Co-op Energy.. ;D

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #40 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »

Not only did she sort out the smart meter (new generation) but was also concerned about my credit build-up and is putting a £250 refund into my bank account.

Which is the main reason most people opt for a smart meter.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

zoony

« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
It began when I talked to a rather unhelpful young man, coincidentally named Phil ;D , this morning who insisted he could do nothing about refunding me without an up to date meter reading. Which I couldn't provide because of the difficulty getting to the meter, which is at floor level in a rather confined space. Only then, in combination with JCBs observation that I could request a smart meter, did I think to call the Co-op's free-phone number and got the lovely Say who pooh-poohed that as my meter was read last month. But you're right. It's a good enough reason to have one. I have no desire to monitor my usage cos I know it's low and it is what it is.

cowboy wisdom.

Yellowbird

« Reply #42 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Had one dont use it, rather pointless really
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

zoony

« Reply #43 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:52:13 PM »
Not if you want a hassle-free way to get a credit balance refunded.

cowboy wisdom.

fortyone

« Reply #44 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »
Had one dont use it, rather pointless really
Unless you've changed supplier you still have one. I'll agree the in room display is pointless and I don't use mine. Having the energy companies know usage without having a meter reader round is useful to some (me for one as I'm away most of the summer) and so is accurate billing. I like the online view of usage too although it serves little real purpose.