Author Topic: jobs for life.......then,  (Read 1078 times)

minniemouse

Re: jobs for life.......then,
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
I've been watching that series and the follow on programme.  The kids are cute too.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

eegrek

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17, 2018, 02:36:01 PM »
As you say the job for life is just about extinct. I started working life at Rolls-Royce (Derby) and trained as an apprentice production engineer. At the end of my apprenticeship I decided to work for small and medium enterprises. My skills were transferable to many different manufacturing products so I went from Jet engines to Petrol pump nozzles, Gas Valves, Hi-Fi Loudspeakers, Chocolates, Computer Software,  Wooden products, Chicken processing and then retirement.
Our family is now at the stage where the grandchildren are either just finished university, still at university or Just about to start University. My oldest granddaughter has a BA in Biology and  Master's degree in Biomed and just completed her first year in a Cambridge laboratory. She is finding it difficult to get a first real job. All work is on contract and she therefore cannot get a mortgage and at 26 years old still not established in the workplace. I hold out little hope for my other grandchildren to find good stable employment. There are just too many people with good education going for work and the competition is fierce. She says she will have to leave the country to widen her choices. Having chldren is not even on the agenda at present - so different when my wife and I started out 58 years ago.

minniemouse

« Reply #17 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
You probably stand more chance of employment if you do one of the apprenticeships that are becoming available now or learn a trade e.g. hairdressing, plumber, electrician and eventually work for yourself. IMO
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

sueboo

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »
Very good advice Minnie :D
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

zoony

« Reply #19 on: Apr 17, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
One of the complications of young people's lives must be the attraction of a few years at 'Uni', often with their mates, which I don't blame them for, I'd do it too if I were young now but it wastes a lot of valuable time for many and incurs a large debt while studying something less than useful for finding employment post-education.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

firenze

« Reply #20 on: Apr 17, 2018, 05:25:24 PM »
I do agree Zoony...I'm watching 6 grandchildren at various stages of education, I don't give much for their chances.  In retrospect the education we had was valuable plus the experience of years of employment. The kudos was fine but the satisfaction and rewards of self employment beat it hands down!
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Phil

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17, 2018, 05:46:59 PM »
As you say the job for life is just about extinct. I started working life at Rolls-Royce (Derby) and trained as an apprentice production engineer. At the end of my apprenticeship I decided to work for small and medium enterprises. My skills were transferable to many different manufacturing products so I went from Jet engines to Petrol pump nozzles, Gas Valves, Hi-Fi Loudspeakers, Chocolates, Computer Software,  Wooden products, Chicken processing and then retirement.
Our family is now at the stage where the grandchildren are either just finished university, still at university or Just about to start University. My oldest granddaughter has a BA in Biology and  Master's degree in Biomed and just completed her first year in a Cambridge laboratory. She is finding it difficult to get a first real job. All work is on contract and she therefore cannot get a mortgage and at 26 years old still not established in the workplace. I hold out little hope for my other grandchildren to find good stable employment. There are just too many people with good education going for work and the competition is fierce. She says she will have to leave the country to widen her choices. Having chldren is not even on the agenda at present - so different when my wife and I started out 58 years ago.

The problem is that for every Biomed vacancy, which in overall numbers are quite limited, there will be dozens of highly qualified applicants.

Your grand daughter doesn't need to be just highly qualified, she needs to be the most highly qualified applicant that there is.

If she passed her Masters with say 99%, it's no good when up pops someone with a 99.5% pass or a PhD.

Marine biologists suffer the same problem of too many fighting for too few vacancies.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin