Author Topic: Antibiotics  (Read 427 times)

Scrumpy

Antibiotics
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:38:23 PM »

I have just been listening to the radio and a doctor just said that drinking alcohol while on antibiotics is ok.
 Jeremy Vine was flabbergasted by this statement. But the doctor assured him that it was alright to do so.
All these years we were led to believe that the two do not mix..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Traveller

Re: Antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
I think there is only one group of antibiotics that interact with alcohol. They are metronidazole and tinidazole.  I discovered this when I had a dental abscess, I was prescribed metronidazole, so  I had the prescription changed.  I checked with the pharmacist and most other antibiotics are OK.
You'll have had your tea.

StephenM123

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »
Whilst most antibiotics do not cause an adverse reaction with alcohol their effectiveness is reversed. For a short course of 5 to 10 days you might as well go teetotal for the duration.

Phil

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
I think there is only one group of antibiotics that interact with alcohol. They are metronidazole and tinidazole.  I discovered this when I had a dental abscess, I was prescribed metronidazole, so  I had the prescription changed.  I checked with the pharmacist and most other antibiotics are OK.

Alchohol doesn't affect the antibiotic effectiveness of Metronidazole & Tindazole.

Metronidazole & Tinidazole interfere with the normal breakdown of alchohol which can result in unpleasant side effects for some people & potentially dangerous side effects for a few people.

Therefore it's better to use Amoxicillin or a similarly based antibiotic.

"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin