Author Topic: Caribbean Imagrants  (Read 18752 times)

Maddie Malone

Caribbean Imagrants
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigrants-uk-caribbean-immigration-hostile-environment-a8300236.html

I don’t think this is right when you have been invited to  come to the U.K. , Have  worked hard all your life and paid your National Insurance stamps to be told you have to pay for NHS treatment , lose your home , work or worse clear off back to where you came from .

What do you think ?

Fred Smiff

Re: Caribbean Imagrants
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:14:37 PM »
Bloody outrageous !
My Mrs says I've got a mind like a Welsh railway........one track and filthy 😁

zoony

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:26:20 PM »
Completely agree Fred. The Home Office need to re-think a few things. Now!
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

Re: Caribbean Immigrants
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
At the time they arrived in the UK they were Commonwealth Citizens & not British Citizens.

The ones that are affected didn't apply to have their status upgraded to that of British Citizen with permanent UK residency so they're no different from anyone else who comes to the UK & overstays.

The length of the overstay is irrelevant in law.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
The British people didn't invite them to come here and they can go home when they wish.

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
Labour party under Harold Wilson invited them to come to build up the work force.

zoony

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
The British people didn't invite them to come here and they can go home when they wish.

They were indeed invited to come here as we had a manpower shortage at the time. As already mentioned, some just ignored or forgot about the need to upgrade their status.

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

Re: Caribbean Immigrants.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2018, 05:15:09 PM »
Labour party under Harold Wilson invited them to come to build up the work force.

It was Labour's Clement Attlee who organised the Windrush, as it's become known, immigration scheme which began in 1948.

Indeed, Clement Attlee wasn't the British people.

As my parents would have said, "Invited by the British people? Nobody asked us".
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Scrumpy

« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »
They came here to help rebuild Britain.. They paid their taxes.
There were more opportunities here for them . They were treated shabbily by the British people who,at the time, were opposed to the black races . We were ignorant back then and one would hope things have changed .
At least they have contributed to society .. unlike the many who come over here to abuse our NHS.. I am pleased to hear that the Government are having a change of heart . I am sure that is what was said on the news tonight.
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

crabbyob

« Reply #9 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:40:11 PM »
it was always my opinion that they should not have come, but they did, and most worked hard to feed their children, worked hard and paid their taxes... and like it or not they have made massive contributions in many fields,, the obvious one is in sport, take a look at the England team, or our olympic team, we bask in their success, so we should embrace their contribution in so many other fields, welcome guys, and come on home office, if a man born in the windies can represent England, then surely that makes him English, if not British
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #10 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:33:42 PM »

it was always my opinion that they should not have come, but they did, and most worked hard to feed their children, worked hard and paid their taxes... and like it or not they have made massive contributions in many fields,, the obvious one is in sport, take a look at the England team, or our olympic team, we bask in their success, so we should embrace their contribution in so many other fields, welcome guys, and come on home office, if a man born in the windies can represent England, then surely that makes him English, if not British

May I ask why you think they should not have come crabbyob?
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

minniemouse

« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
They fought in the War, they taught us how to Paaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrtttttttttttyyyyyyyyyy and filled our churches.......still do.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Phil

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:26:41 PM »
At least they have contributed to society .. unlike the many who come over here to abuse our NHS.. I am pleased to hear that the Government are having a change of heart . I am sure that is what was said on the news tonight.

Not quite.

What's happening is that the Home Office will assist with their applications to become British Citizens by helping them to gather the necessary documentation & will waive the usual £229 application fee & fast track the process.

The Government haven't had a change of heart because the the actual process itself is no different from how it has been for years & the people affected have always had the opportunity to apply through exactly the same procedure.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
'They' also staffed a large part of our NHS. The Windrush generation were, for the most part, honest and grafting people who were/are loyal subjects of The Queen and proud members of the Commonwealth. The situation needs some common sense applying to it rather than bully boy tactics. Show some respect Amber, one of them was quite likely the midwife that birthed you.

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:44:01 PM »
'They' also staffed a large part of our NHS. The Windrush generation were, for the most part, honest and grafting people who were/are loyal subjects of The Queen and proud members of the Commonwealth. The situation needs some common sense applying to it rather than bully boy tactics. Show some respect Amber, one of them was quite likely the midwife that birthed you.

I don't see how any of the above removes the requirement that they should have applied for British Citizenship years ago but didn't.

Being a hard working, honest & a lifelong taxpayer doesn't remove the requirement for me to have to apply for a driving licence in order to be allowed  to drive.