Author Topic: Caribbean Imagrants  (Read 18753 times)

Ashy

Re: Caribbean Imagrants
« Reply #45 on: Apr 19, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »
As far as I am aware the press, even the BBC with its vast resources, could not find a single "victim".

Ashy

« Reply #46 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »
According to Wilkipedia

"Indefinite leave (to remain) is not a permanent status. It can lapse where the holder has stayed outside the United Kingdom for a continuous period of more than two years."

Phil

Re: Caribbean Immigrants.
« Reply #47 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
According to Wilkipedia

"Indefinite leave (to remain) is not a permanent status. It can lapse where the holder has stayed outside the United Kingdom for a continuous period of more than two years."

Yes, quite obviously the indefinite leave to remain status doesn't get removed every single time a person leaves the UK otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to go abroad for a holiday or to visit family etc.

Indefinite leave to remain is granted to people who've demonstrated a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa.

Permanent Residence in the UK is called Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).  Indefinite Leave to Remain is granted to people who have already shown a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa.

The two year period is the length of time that the Home Office deem to be sufficient to show that the person is no longer showing that commitment.

The indefinite leave to remain documentation quite clearly shows the following type of warning.

Please note that once you have been granted ILR, it is important to try to not spend 2 years or over outside of the UK, as this can lead to it being revoked.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #48 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:40:32 PM »
Just how many people are we talking about here, does anyone know or could hazard a guess  ?
Piece on TV today saying, Home Office has set up a Help Line for Immigrants Concerned about their Immigration Status (re: Windrush or Immigration from the Caribbean, more generally).  They've had about a hundred calls, it was claimed.

Phil

« Reply #49 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09:50:37 PM »
Piece on TV today saying, Home Office has set up a Help Line for Immigrants Concerned about their Immigration Status (re: Windrush or Immigration from the Caribbean, more generally).  They've had about a hundred calls, it was claimed.

I don't know why these people can't just use the online status checker.

I find it quite annoying that they bang on about not knowing when there's more readily available information about immigration status than you can shake a stick at.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #50 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »
I don't know why these people can't just use the online status checker.

I find it quite annoying that they bang on about not knowing when there's more readily available information about immigration status than you can shake a stick at.

https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citizen
Phil,
I think part of the problem is a number of them aren't too bright, nor are they IT literate. 
Reading some of the case studies produced in the press, the problems seems to have arisen because those affected can't be bothered, or are finding it too difficult, to complete the necessary documentation and return it.  Illiteracy means they do need person to person support to get through the process.
The politicians are muddying the water by repeating quite implausible stories, take the one repeated, by Vince Cable, on Question time last night (an example that was about how difficult it is to get in the Country).  A women of West Indian decent, who's lived here for 40 years, who is dying of Cancer, was having difficulty getting a man, who she claimed was her Common Law husband, into the country to care for her.  So, so many, implausible things here, for example, how can someone be a Common Law partner when the aren't and have not been cohabiting?

Ashy

« Reply #51 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »
Where there are large carribean communities in England you will always find resource centres and citizens advice where that sort of help can be obtained even if the home office does not provide it. I am in complete agreement with Phil and Bazzer. Some of the claims being trotted out by virtue signalling politicians are simply absurd.

Ashy

« Reply #52 on: Apr 20, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
Having looked into it a bit further I find that the passengers on the Empire Windrush on its voyage from Jamaica were not invited to come here by the British government or anyone else other than the operator of the vessel. When they arrived they had nowhere to stay and no means of support. this was many years before Britain put immigration controls in place in 1962.

Alex22

« Reply #53 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »
Theresa May has reassured Commonwealth leaders that members of the Windrush generation who have suffered “anxieties and problems” as a result of the government’s immigration rules will be paid compensation.

There ya go  !  RESULT

Johned

« Reply #54 on: Apr 20, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
In order to make it utterly fair and equitable, what about paying us all compensation in general for not being on the Windrush.  Apologies to all the ex squaddies et al who may have travelled on that risky old ship when it was formerly a trooper.  If memory serves me aright, was it not prone to getting on fire on occasion?

Ashy

« Reply #55 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:07:22 PM »
I think we should be compensated for having to put up with it all.

Phil

« Reply #56 on: Apr 20, 2018, 09:47:08 PM »
Theresa May has reassured Commonwealth leaders that members of the Windrush generation who have suffered “anxieties and problems” as a result of the government’s immigration rules will be paid compensation.

There ya go  !  RESULT

What about the stress I've suffered because of having to watch immigrants taking over my country?

That should be worth a few quid.

My problem is being born to ethnic British parents.

No race card to play.

No ethnic British Citizen drop-in advice / community centre.

Phil

« Reply #57 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:07:05 AM »

There ya go  !  RESULT

Only the UK could compensate lazy morons who are in a self-made situation by not completing the necessary paperwork to get British residency status.

Can you see the USA compensating people who are refused entry because they couldn't be arsed to apply for a visa?

I hope that proper checks are made on those who do claim compo & it's not just dished out to anyone who applies.

Or maybe no checks will be made, I'll let you know if I get a payout.

Winston Leroy Mulumbo (formerly known as Phil).

xetog

« Reply #58 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:10:14 AM »
I notice in today's paper that this guy who was refused entry had been out of the country for 3 years repairing his home in the Caribbean (maximum allowed 2).  His relatives are complaining that they did not know this, or that he could be refused NHS treatment.  When we researched what became our holiday home in Spain we were left with no doubt that staying out of the country for more than 6 months would mean that we would be denied treatment by the NHS in the UK.  Many though, don't bother to do the research, or don't care because in the past it has been ignored by the NHS.  I see Momentum is making a great play of the situation appealing to the younger element who get all their news from facebooke etc.

Mike.
If you want to control peoples thoughts, first control their words.

Ashy

« Reply #59 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
He'll be ok, they have doctors in Jamaica these days.