Author Topic: Tinnitus  (Read 670 times)

Maddie Malone

Tinnitus
« on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
At the moment I am being driven mad with really loud Tinnitus noises in both ears .

Does anyone else suffer from this ?

What do you do to ease it ?

granny moss

Re: Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
Sometimes it is loud, from both ears...and meets at the top of my head...like a stereophonic sound....sometimes just quiet, in one ear....it varies. I have learned to ignore it by keeping my mind busy on other things. It is very hard to cope with, but not much that can be done. I really am sorry for your problem. I may try to Google it and find some answers..... ???gmx

firenze

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:49:28 PM »
Maddie,Tinnitus plagued one of my family, earphones with classical music playing helped and gave a break.
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

Scrumpy

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
I feel for you Maddie.. Luckily I don’t suffer from Tinnitus. I do know that is misery for some ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

minniemouse

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2018, 06:30:57 PM »
I read recently that there is a cure on the horizon.  At the moment they use 'white noise'.  I don't know what that entails though. It sounds as though it might be wearing earphones and a noise to mask the tinnitus.  I feel for you, it's one of the most debilitating illnesses.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.

Dayjo

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
I have had tinnitus, multiple hissing sounds, since I was a schoolboy.

Frankly. I don't notice, whenever I'm busy. Unless someone mentions it, like now....  ;)
David, Christine, + Mia...... NE Derbyshire.

Life happens, when you connect with people.
Not, constantly working to be better, or to have more......

sparky

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
I have had tinnitus non stop for around 50 years , I think I may have been lucky in  that because  it started at a low level  and gradually increased to the fairly high level it is now, I can totally ignore it, I am only aware of it if I think about it, the only way it effects me is it adds to my poor hearing, Many years ago the NHS supplied me with what they called maskers , like tiny hearing aids that produced what was said to be a more pleasant tone, but I barely used them, I cannot see the point of producing one sound to blot out another, I think mine was caused by years of using electric  drills, Kango hammers etc, in the days before ear defenders.

sueboo

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
My other half has it, won't say suffer as he never ever complains and gets on with life.  I worry about it more than he does.  His attitude is OK I've got it shut up (to me) I cope so be quiet.  Somehow he overcomes it and gets through every day.  He totally amazes me as has a fair few problems yet never ever complains and just gets on with things.  Don't thin I could.

I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

crabbyob

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
DayJo put it in a nutshell, ive had it for a lot of years but like DayJo i dont suffer from it, its ringing it head off now that youve mentioned it, but i normally ignore it, when its the only thing in my life it really does annoy me, but on the whole i simply ignore it... its like sleeping with a snorer, if you listen to it then it will drive you crazy, so you ignore it... folks will think its impossible, but if it was youd never sleep again, try listening to something else...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

sueboo

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2018, 08:14:31 PM »
I suppose at the end of the day its how you cope with things, we're all different some have high pain thresh holds others not.
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Phil

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »
I only become aware of it when somebody starts a thread about it.

The most annoying bit is, sometimes when it's very quiet, trying to work out if a noise is real or in my head.

Considering I stood in front of two banks of 200 watt speakers for 10 years, mine isn't too bad as, when I'm aware of it, it's just a low level hiss that I don't notice a lot of the time.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Maddie Malone

« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:32:47 AM »
Thanks everyone
I can sometimes take my mind off it and I have certain sounds like rain , waves and other sounds on my iPod but  I do get times like yesterday when it gets so bad it affects my vision and my balance and brings on a meniers attack and  I end up on my bed in a dark room until it eases once again .

I apologise for reminding those who have it 😊

minniemouse

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »
Keep enquiring at your doctors Maddie, they are coming up with new treatments for ailments all the time.
Smoking kills you, bacon kills you, smoking bacon cures it.