Author Topic: Buying a car is cheaper than train ticket for some journeys  (Read 1703 times)

fortyone

Ridiculous but apparently true.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/cheaper-buy-car-pay-train-ticket/

The buying a car bit was obviously to prove a point but I know for sure driving is cheaper than public transport for most journeys if you already own and insure a car. For a family it is a lot cheaper.

brian54

Re: Buying a car is cheaper than train ticket for some journeys
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
People often think we are extravagant taking 4 cars for 11 people and 4 dogs. It is convenient to use cars. We never travel in convoy. Sometimes we use different stopping places for food ect if we are at different points. I am sure it is cheaper to run 4 cars for the holidays as they are smaller cars rather than getting bigger cars to cover the holidays.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:28:02 PM »
Ridiculous but apparently true.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/cheaper-buy-car-pay-train-ticket/

The buying a car bit was obviously to prove a point but I know for sure driving is cheaper than public transport for most journeys if you already own and insure a car. For a family it is a lot cheaper.

That's nothing.

The guy could have rented a 5 Series BMW for £49 for the day.

And called it Carson.

Ha ha ha ha.

;D

If we wanted to go to Plymouth by train the cheapest anytime return would be £722 for both of us.

We could get fixed returns for £345 but that means we would have to travel at set hours which might not be convenient.

It would cost around £60 in petrol so even for a £345 ticket, that one journey by car would save enough money to insure the car for a year.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

granny moss

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2018, 03:50:53 PM »
We needed a car to take sister in law out to lunch. She had leg problem. So, Jenny hired a car. We picked up the car in Norwich, for a day. Very nice car, beautifully clean and almost new. All for £25 to drive to Essex and back !...Worth every penny....gmx

Raven

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
I used to love travelling by train but these days the fares are way out of my purse.  :'(  I have my free bus pass, but I'd love one for rail travel, or even for a decent reduction in price. BUT one can dream. ::)

Phil

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
I used to love travelling by train but these days the fares are way out of my purse.  :'(  I have my free bus pass, but I'd love one for rail travel, or even for a decent reduction in price. BUT one can dream. ::)

In addition to unaffordable rail fares, it's getting to the stage where fewer & fewer people will be able to afford a car when petrol & diesel vehicles are banned.

Buses where we live are not viable because although we could get to, say the Sheffield or Leeds, we wouldn't be able to get back in the space of a day unless we just stopped for 30 minutes & came straight back.

Even the last bus back from Lincoln is at 18:00 hrs.

We couldn't afford £30,000 for an electric car.

The UK will end up like it was 200 years ago where the rich could travel but the majority of people were born & died in the same town & never went further than walking distance.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

brian54

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2018, 12:51:32 PM »

My pass covers bus and train in the West Midlands and bus all over the UK.
Myself and a friend have provisionally arranged to go by train to Selly Oak in the next few days and to walk back by the side of the canal with Peter and Andy. We don't want it too hot or cold.
There are some outdoor cafes between Five Ways and New Street and I am sure Andy and Peter will have a bit of food as well. Dogs travel free at all ages.

Phil

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 12:54:17 PM »

My pass covers bus and train in the West Midlands and bus all over the UK.
Myself and a friend have provisionally arranged to go by train to Selly Oak in the next few days and to walk back by the side of the canal with Peter and Andy. We don't want it too hot or cold.
There are some outdoor cafes between Five Ways and New Street and I am sure Andy and Peter will have a bit of food as well. Dogs travel free at all ages.

That sounds really pleasant.

I hope you have a good day with decent weather.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
In addition to unaffordable rail fares, it's getting to the stage where fewer & fewer people will be able to afford a car when petrol & diesel vehicles are banned.
My vision of what will happen by that time when there will also be autonomous vehicles is that nobody will actually need a car. You'll just use whatever is the equivalent of Uber by then and call up a vehicle to take you where you want to go. Half the country won't be able to own an electric vehicle as they will have nowhere to charge it (flats, terraced houses etc.) unless most town roads where there is parking get lined with chargepoints and I can't see that happening in time.

Phil

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2018, 04:24:03 PM »
My vision of what will happen by that time when there will also be autonomous vehicles is that nobody will actually need a car. You'll just use whatever is the equivalent of Uber by then and call up a vehicle to take you where you want to go. Half the country won't be able to own an electric vehicle as they will have nowhere to charge it (flats, terraced houses etc.) unless most town roads where there is parking get lined with chargepoints and I can't see that happening in time.

But only if the prices are affordable & in areas where it's economical.

No Uber where we live.

There was a programme on the TV a few years ago where a reporter did something like travel the length of Italy for the price of a ticket from London to Doncaster.

firenze

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:00:09 PM »
After a lifetime of driving i am delighted to say that having just given up my car I love not seeing the monster on the drive.   So far the lazy life is great, the telephone brings to my door my wishes and perhaps it works "cos I been there done that"...
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

sueboo

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
Oh no we couldn't do without our vehicle as we mainly live in it :)
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Raven

« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »
I'm not ready to give up my car yet. I still drive every day, maybe in about ten or so years I'll do it. Knowing me I'll wake up one day and say " that's it, time to let go" That's the way things usually happen with me.

zoony

« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
I hope it happens that way for you Raven there are some unpleasant alternatives.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

brian54

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2018, 05:48:27 PM »
I was speaking to a decorator this afternoon I can now remember it was said that cheque books will be gone by 2018. They are still with us. He was concerned because his turnover is less than £50,000 per year and he only does about 30 jobs a year because he is often in a house for 2 weeks because people tend to have more than 1 room done. His turnover is low because people often provide their own materials. He said a machine which takes cards would cost too much.