Author Topic: Save the Children CEO Resigns Amidst Inappropriate Sexual Behaviour Scandal.  (Read 603 times)

Phil

Sir Alan Parker has resigned as CEO of Save the Children after being accused of not acting on complaints of inappropriate behaviour against former CEO Justin Forsyth.

In a letter to colleagues, he said a change was needed given the challenges facing the charity and the sector.

I wonder if Saint Brendan Cox's inappropriate behaviour with women, which resulted in his resignation from Save the Children, was one of the 'challenges'.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

StephenM123

In recent years I have cut down charity donations quite considerably, and not just because I am n a reduced income. The first thing that annoyed me was an increasing number of "chuggers" on my daily commute. The next was when a friend died  quite a few of us made direct contributions to his nominated charity as we were not happy to go via the undertaker. For more than a decade we were in receipt of junk mail, raffle tickets (for us to sell) and Christmas cards from said charity - probably more money was wasted on this than we donated. The final straw was when I volunteered for a charity when I was unemployed and saw the vast difference between the paid workers and the volunteers. As to this the latest scandals and questions about how much actually gets to the "coal face" makes me ever more dubious about charities.

And why is Oxfam still the same as when I was a child. The people they help need to move forward, learn to grow their own crops, sort out water supply and sanitation, etc. For me charity now begins at home!

Ashy

The paid staff of these charities have an interest in keeping the problem going. This may be called vested perpetuation. Apart from emergency relief some of these charities are really not necessary and would not be if the poeple did not breed irresponsibly.

brian54

I do some voluntaty work for Cruk and a complaint was made I was at Trentham Gardens helping at an event by somebody that I was travelling long distances at the expense of the doners. The person thought I was Cruk staff.
The truth was I am not Cruk staff. I paid my own travelling expenses and I made a donation.

For some reason they did not get enough local volunteers.

stellamaris

I do support one of national charities - which is the Marie Curie nurses.   We have raised money for them directly and when we have raised funds for other events that never came off we have sent it to Marie Curie with the willing consent of the donors.   I haven't heard anything bad about this charity and the older I get the more I appreciate their work.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

sueboo

As I have already mentioned we give regular donations to small animal charities and I work on a voluntary basis in Spain when we are over there again to help raise money for the poor ill treated dogs.  However our days of giving to large charitable organisations has long gone.  I prefer to be hands on and get more of a chance of knowing where the donated money goes.
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

brian54

I do support one of national charities - which is the Marie Curie nurses.   We have raised money for them directly and when we have raised funds for other events that never came off we have sent it to Marie Curie with the willing consent of the donors.   I haven't heard anything bad about this charity and the older I get the more I appreciate their work.

I think all of the health charities are good but ones like Marie Curie, Macmillan and CRUK have higher running costs but about 88% of the donations goes on the charity work.
CRUK does work with similar charities worldwide and their work is documented and is available to other cancer charities.
Oddly a researcher worked for 10 years trying to find some treatments for breast cancer but hit a brick wall at the end.
A few years later it was picked up and it was tried on lung cancer with a lot of success,
They tried to contact the researcher to tell him he had not wasted 10 years of his working life but sadly he had died a month before.

sueboo

Brian I admire your good work to charities but like I said we gave up on the big ones and now only give to the small basically voluntary ones where we can keep a track on where the money goes.
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Ashy

Sadly with the big charities the unpaid volunteers have to do a lot of work to pay for the board of directors, landlords and daytime television before anything worthwhile ever gets paid for.

sueboo

That is why we chose to give to the little charities ;D
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

Ashy

Good for you Sueboo.

digitalis

Just before the MPs expenses scandal broke we had the MP who worked for the Cats Protection Society. Anyone remember him? When called to account over some dodgy goings-on the now MP rebuked those who criticized him saying he was being paid £320,000 by this charity and had taken a pay cut to become an MP! I think he was employing his son in some position(at our expense!),and his son was pictured at some lavish gay ball,French Marie Antoinette style. Then,later,we had the MPs expense claims.
Next time the headlines of charities and MPs caught my attention were of the charities hounding Olive Cooke for £££££££s. Remember this OAP? I think this lady couldn't take it anymore when the charities began hounding her for more and more money  and she threw herself off/over Bristol suspension bridge. Prior to this she'd been very vigilant in bequeathing her time and what little money she had to the charities and the poppy collection appeal.

Most recently we have the celebs begging us to give more and more money for their chosen charities with them appearing on TV for the charity but being paid to do so! Was it £30k for breast cancer recently?

And anyone remember Terry Wogan? I think he used to get grand sums of Wonga for presenting Children in Need... until he was outed by some rag.

I don't know whether its sad or abuse.