Author Topic: owls,  (Read 425 times)

Alfred

owls,
« on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »

My wife loves owls, and a few years back in southend  high street there was an elderly man who walked up and down the high street with several owls, perched on his shoulders with a fine chain attached to them to stop them flying off even though they were reared very young , one was a baby one, the other two were barn owls,. and this man was promoting saving the barn owls from extinction, and he handed out leaflets, on  the protection and caring for owls in general,

so when ever during the summer months , it was amazing just how many stopped to have a close look at these owls , (and some people some with young children,)  even let the larger barn owls perch on their  hands , they were very tame and beautiful too,  evidently they were kept in a very large aviary with plenty of room  for them to fly in , obviously this man loved his owls, and they were fed and kept in healthy condition, well cared for,

well on occasions there was a programme about owls to which my daughter and wife watched the documentary about owls , really fascinating to watch ,
well one Christmas i was stuck for a present for my wife and i hit on the idea of an owl broach ,
another time it was a necklace with  two owls as the centre piece, and the amount of people who came up to my wife seeing her broach, it seems owls seem to be popular with many people.

Q; for the ladies on the forum do you wear a broach pinned to your coat , if so will you tell us about it,

zoony

Re: owls,
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2018, 05:20:26 PM »
Hi Alfred. I think you'll find that the Harry Potter films are responsible for a huge upsurge of interest in owls, especially among the young, over the last 15 yrs or so.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Alfred

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »

hello Zoony,
yes your right it seems of late well within the past few years owls are fast becoming peoples favourite among of course many other birds as well and documentaries also add interest watching the breeding and feeding habits of our feathered friends and  of course many people in  the united kingdom are animal lovers, cats, dogs, etc etc,.

Alex22

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
I don't wear brooches Alfred, but they are making a fashion comeback I believe !     I do have two pottery owls though, one I keep £2 coins in and the other just sits on the hearth. 

Scrumpy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
Owls are known to have big eyes and very small brains ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

zoony

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2018, 01:33:56 AM »
Like gold-diggers.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

GrannyMac

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
There are lots of Owls where I live. It's what Sheffield Wednesday fans are called! Quite a few local car reg's include OWL.
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais

Alfred

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 04:54:19 PM »

Thank you,
 alex22, scrumpy, zoony, and Granny mac,  unlike red squirrels,  it seems the owls are very much a native bird breed of the united kingdom, and its nice to see them in their natural habitat,