Author Topic: Enoch Powell's Historic Speech of 50 Years Ago.  (Read 1348 times)

Phil

Enoch Powell's Historic Speech of 50 Years Ago.
« on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »
I see that some of the media are already referring to Enoch Powell's incorrectly dubbed  'Rivers of Blood' speech as an infamous speech in a desperate attempt to discredit it.

I would suggest that the way in which mass immigration has affected parts of the UK makes him spot on & farsighted with what he foretold.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

Re: Enoch Powell's Historic Speech of 50 Years Ago.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
Have you listened to it Phil? I downloaded it from iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09z08w3

To modern ears the language is rather intemperate and I doubt the truth of some examples he raised but on numbers and ghettoisation he has been proven correct to some extent. I'm surprised that the BBC produced it.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »
Have you listened to it Phil? I downloaded it from iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09z08w3

To modern ears the language is rather intemperate and I doubt the truth of some examples he raised but on numbers and ghettoisation he has been proven correct to some extent. I'm surprised that the BBC produced it.

I agree that to modern ears it is intemperate, but 50 years ago kids were still saving marmalade jar labels to get a Golliwog badge / broach & were colouring with Lakeland '[censored]-brown' crayons, so their lifestyle as kids would be deemed unacceptable behaviour.

Enoch Powell was never against all immigration, his message was about the impact that uncontrolled mass immigration would have on Britain & the British way of life.

Exactly the same reason that most Brexiteers voted to leave the EU.

His 'Rivers of Blood' has certainly come to fruition in London where the majority of gun & knife crimes are carried out by non-ethnic British Citizens.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Bill Stickers

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »
I agree that to modern ears it is intemperate, but 50 years ago kids were still saving marmalade jar labels to get a Golliwog badge / broach & were colouring with Lakeland '[censored]-brown' crayons, so their lifestyle as kids would be deemed unacceptable behaviour.

Enoch Powell was never against all immigration, his message was about the impact that uncontrolled mass immigration would have on Britain & the British way of life.

Exactly the same reason that most Brexiteers voted to leave the EU.

His 'Rivers of Blood' has certainly come to fruition in London where the majority of gun & knife crimes are carried out by non-ethnic British Citizens.

Indeed Phil and today 38% of 'Londoners' were not even born in the UK. Inevitably, in decades to come the UK will become an Islamic country governed by Sharia Law, it's only a matter of generative reproduction.

Ashy

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
It's just possible that one day the English will boil over. The longer the problem festers, the worse it will be.

BazzerPontefract

« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:00:26 PM »
It's just possible that one day the English will boil over. The longer the problem festers, the worse it will be.
Yes, it is something that nags here too.
The thing is, relatively speaking, we've lived, since the second world war, in times of plenty.  So while people carp about the cost of immigration (in various services) people aren't inclined to risk getting themselves into trouble objecting to immigration.
People tell me that the young have less difficulty with immigration than my generation.  They seem to forget that the young haven't lived through the really tough economic times of the forties, fifties, and sixties, so the young have little feel for what things are like when resources need to be rationed. 
As far as I can tell, integration hasn't worked despite the massive amounts of money thrown at it, as well as the compelling legislative pressure to overcome discrimination - for the most part we live in different communities, with different cultures, with different politics, and differing degrees of adherence to the rule of Law.
So we tick along with only the occasional outbreak of ghetto violence which disturbs us when we see it on TV.
But what might happen if economic circumstances change, and there is very real competition for all commodities and all services.
The thing about Powell was that he lived at a time when economic growth of the type we experienced now did not seem to be a prospect, so from Enoch perspective, he expected more and more people of different races and cultures all competing for the same limited resource. 
His vision of violence might still happen, should economic conditions decline to any significant degree.

Phil

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »

As far as I can tell, integration hasn't worked despite the massive amounts of money thrown at it, as well as the compelling legislative pressure to overcome discrimination - for the most part we live in different communities, with different cultures, with different politics, and differing degrees of adherence to the rule of Law.

You're correct.

Integration hasn't worked, nor has it been widely accepted.

Otherwise there would have been no need to pass so-called race hate laws to enforce acceptance.

Ashy

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
Let's face it we can't even integrate the social classes so different races and cultures will never integrate.

fortyone

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »
If you take a long enough timescale there will be no need for any integration. We will be outbred.....