Author Topic: Our Noble Lords  (Read 481 times)

digitalis

Our Noble Lords
« on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »

I was very impressed at our noble Lords getting to their feet to applaud Lady Tessa Jowell t'other day. TJ was disclosing and promulgating more money for brain cancer research. I think all were moved to applause with several nobles disclosing their own magnanimity. One(I cant remember which)got up to say he had had some biopsy and had taken it upon himself to allow this part of himself to go forward to be given to research. Bravery indeed! Taking example I decided to donate my now unwanted hair clippings at my barbers,at which he thanked me. I now have plans to donate my toenail clippings for research. Alas,false modesty prevents me making my bravery known at the House of Fraud(sorry,Lords)
T'other day I read Quentin Letts take on the House of Fraud(Lords)wherein our betters lambasted and lampooned those plebs who chose to vote Brexit. Great men indeed!  And with winks and nods and mirth did they not make us all know it!

And we're s'posed to revile and sneer and find funny other 'enemy' states????

fortyone

Re: Our Noble Lords
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
Feel free to sign the petition to abolish the House of Lords
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/209433
Already mentioned but in politics which I guess many avoid.

stellamaris

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
I signed the petition, just for the hell of it.  I doubt it will get far unless a good few million sign it.  I just like studying the map of the constituencies.   Today I was browsing the sizes of labour v conservatives constituencies. No wonder Labour don't want the fair and legitimate boundary changes.
Keep on chooglin' - John Fogerty
Pronouns: She/Her/Beautiful/Wondrous one/Dearest Heart

Johned

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
The whole H of L setup is complete farce.  How can anyone be a "Lord" or "Lady" entirely at the behest of the Leader of a political party?  Should we need a second chamber, it should be elected and the whole stupid title issue done away with.  There should be no titles in this day and age, other than plain Mr or Mrs; while we are at it, also make it illegal for ex officers to still refer to themselves by their ranks.

fortyone

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2018, 03:27:04 PM »
I doubt it will get far unless a good few million sign it.
I doubt it will get far no matter how many sign it - like the EU the HoL is a pension plan for failed politicians. I still signed and the more that do the better - at least they will know just how popular they are. I wonder if France could lend us a guillotine or two....

digitalis

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

Signed the petition. Thanks.

I watched the news about David Mills(TJs ex husband?)when he was going to be arraigned before the Italian courts with his 'favour' for Berlusconi. Fascinating. I think the Italians were going to prosecute them both for some tax irregularity(and which I have long forgotten) When prosecution seemed imminent and maybe money sequestrated(should DM have been  found guilty),the marriage dissolved! Strange(or not so strange)when the statute for limitations for prosecutions and /or arraignment ran out,DM and TJ fell in love again. Excellent. I guess with excellent legal advice from all and sundry at the House of Commons,and that from Italy,seperation might have been the best way to protect and save your capital just in case things went awry. Still,prosecution failing,I guess cupid re-emerged.

Alas that I couldn't continue to watch  the noble man who spoke of his bravery in donating his benign polyp(?)on removal. I had to turn the tv off when all his friends and colleagues began their congratulatory applause of each other and TJ

Alas I might have less jaundiced had each offered to give a kidney to some on dialysis.

Wottabunch!

Ashy

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
If previous petitions are anything to go by if it is debated, most of the MPs will be absent, but the few who do participate will take the opportunity to praise the lords for all their hard work and engage in a little self aggrandisement too, completely ignoring the message from the Public. I signed it anyway but it will take a bit more than that to make politics representative.

zoony

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2018, 06:32:17 PM »
I wouldn't mind a Lord's oversight committee made up of expert and experienced members but the gravy-train passengers need to stop scrounging and get off or be thrown off.
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

Phil

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »

I watched the news about David Mills(TJs ex husband?)when he was going to be arraigned before the Italian courts with his 'favour' for Berlusconi. Fascinating. I think the Italians were going to prosecute them both for some tax irregularity(and which I have long forgotten) When prosecution seemed imminent and maybe money sequestrated(should DM have been  found guilty),the marriage dissolved! Strange(or not so strange)when the statute for limitations for prosecutions and /or arraignment ran out,DM and TJ fell in love again. Excellent. I guess with excellent legal advice from all and sundry at the House of Commons,and that from Italy,seperation might have been the best way to protect and save your capital just in case things went awry. Still,prosecution failing,I guess cupid re-emerged.

I was just thinking about that when I read your previous post about Jowell & was going to make the same observation.

Anyway a smartarse lawyer is no use to her now.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin