Author Topic: boat race  (Read 1041 times)

caminito

boat race
« on: Mar 26, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »
I have only just realized that today is the boat race.
It seems to have slipped down the sporting favourites of today   !

Defending champions Cambridge are favourites but many observers are expecting Oxford to push them all the way in the 157th Boat Race.

Come on Oxford  ;D

Dottie1943

Re: boat race
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
Caminito, how right you are.

I am going to sound like that Hovis advert now "I remember when"  we would sit in front of the TV eyes glued from beginning to end of the boat race, the whole family would watch, cup of tea in one hand and a sandwich in the other cheering on our team, I could never remember which one I had supported the previous year, so decided on the day just before the start if I liked the look of the Cox that was the one who got my support. 

The Grand National is another sporting event that seems to have less support these days as well, long gone are the days when you bought a ticket for 50 pence and picked out a possible winner or a blank piece of paper or non runner all in the hope of winning maybe £20.00  ;D
Breath in Breath out then repeat only when necessary!

caminito

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
When I was a young boy , I used to pinch a few of my father's bamboo canes and spend hours splitting and then carving into a pair of oars. These were then tied up with Light or Dark blue ribbon , again nicked from my mother or grandmother . A safety pin was attached !
I would sit on an appropiate wall ,with plenty of passing trade and sell them for 3 pence ( thrupence) each.
I always sold out !
It was such a big event in the fifties  ;D

In the sixties , my father was always invited to the "Duckham Oil " marquee situated on the bank of the Thames about half way along the race.
Food and Champagne was served by flunkies for free to the guests . A wonderful afternoon out !

I didn;t realize that it was on today until my wife mentioned it this morning

Chrisjay

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
I shall be watching it as I do every year but what happened to they got out there and rowed its been on TV an hour now and the thing is full of inane chatter from 'celebreties'

I'm supporting Cambridge as I did one of my degrees there but secretly want Oxford to win I love an underdog :)

caminito

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2011, 05:24:34 PM »
A great win for Oxford  ;D

Isis (oxford reservces won as well )

Chrisjay

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
It was a good race and they deserve the win:-)