Author Topic: potholes  (Read 1643 times)

sparky

potholes
« on: May 16, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that councils in Gloucestershire use more white paint than tarmac judging by the amount I see around  unfilled potholes, I also have found it eerie that over the last week I have come across seven sets of temporary  traffic lights in different locations in both Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire, where there was not a sign of any work taking place, they must set them up to fool the ratepayers that they actually doing something useful,

Bobcat

Re: potholes
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »
Its even better here in Lancashire. A lorry pulled up and filled some of the pot holes and then drove away and left the rest !!

sparky

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 12:48:38 PM »
Bobcat I am sure the same thing would happen here if the council Picasso artist had not given those his white halo artistic touch.

Floydian

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
It seems up here in Yorkshire there's always plenty of tarmac to build speed bumps but never enough to fill potholes....
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

StephenM123

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:26:39 PM »
They love speed humps in Hertfordshire. In fact one town has been renamed Hemel Humpstead!
If you report  potholes to our council they say they will look into it - they are doing a lot of looking but little filling!
Joking apart there are numerous issues particularly on the country roads. Besides the potholes many edges are broken up and can have troughs s much s 9" - 12" deep. Then there are worn out lines at many junctions and vegetation so overgrown it can hide signs, make open bends blind and make emerging from junctions hazardous!   :(    :'(

Yellowbird

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
Our potholes are painted round in yellow paint, they’re beginning to join up, soon be The Yellow brick road! Speed bumps and potholes make for an adventurous drive to town and back, we have beautiful flower baskets hanging from lampposts though, plenty of money for those.  Why!
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

sparky

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
Yellowbird, They are just being crafty, they are hoping you will spend so much time gazing  up and admiring the flowers, you won't notice the potholes.

Yellowbird

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03:43:26 PM »
Ah ha Sparky you’re got it didnt think of that. Your so clever perhaps you will fill the potholes in so I can safely watch the flowers grow
Born sceptic grown even more sceptic sadly

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:48:14 PM »
I reckon most of our minor roads aren't roads at all - just holes connected by the odd bit of tarmac - and we don't call them potholes - they are elephant traps (and they must be good - haven't seen a loose elephant in ages!)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 06:15:01 PM »
They've just finished resurfacing a long stretch of the A605 near me. It wasn't actually that bad anyway. Meanwhile in town there are potholes big enough to damage your car in quite a few places. I read that A roads and motorways are covered by central funding and the rest by councils. Given my council is just about bankrupt I can't see much being done this year.

fortyone

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
Government site with information on how to try and claim for damage to your vehicle caused by a pothole...

https://www.gov.uk/claim-for-damage-to-your-vehicle

If you want to amuse yourselves overloading government servers then report all the potholes you come across to - https://www.gov.uk/report-pothole

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
I think we have the same type of potholes as in Michael's area.  I really cannot remember any of the size and depth that are left these days.  I notice too that whatever they do to fill them doesn't seem to work for long.  Yet another of the chaotic Conservatives wasting money because of the austerity ethos.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

fortyone

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
Yet another of the chaotic Conservatives wasting money because of the austerity ethos.
We've been having some pretty crappy weather lately. That's probably all down to the austerity ethos too.

sueboo

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
Potholes are everywhere won't be long till the UK sinks!!
I'm not lazy I'm just always relaxed
Love the life you live. 
Live the life you love.

crabbyob

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »
when i was a kid we lived in a pothole, then we moved into a shoebox..
why not granulate our plastic waste and mix it with some quick drying adhesive then the tanker could go along at night squirting the mix into the potholes... killing two stones with half a bird... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”