Author Topic: Accents  (Read 5984 times)

crabbyob

Re: Accents
« Reply #60 on: Jun 09, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »
i was in a superstore in Cambridge with an Indian friend whose spoken English is not great... he wanted noodles for his grand-daughter but could we heck find em, so i approached a uniform, "excuse me i'm looking for noodles" "oiltin" i looked at her, had she heard me "noodles?" "oiltin" i shook my head "i dont understand" "oiltin, noodles oiltin" then it dawned on me she was a proper local... aisle ten... and there they were 45p a packet erm no... today the family decamped to London Zoo... i dont do Zoos... nor Circuses... so i am here all alone...what might i cook..lol to heck wi it i will treat myself ... fish an chips... again there was a slight language difference but we managed... did i want small medium or large...lol... go for it... large fish an chips... she typed it in... £6.50... thats not too bad i suppose ... would you like chips with that..."what?... of course" more typing, £8.50... ffs... £2.00 for a portion of chips...
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #61 on: Jun 09, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »
....A large portion of chips Crabby. Blame your appetite mate. ;D
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #62 on: Jun 09, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
but on the bright side no sign of polystyrene nor plastic, cardboard box placed inside a brown paper bag... and i didnt leave a scrap...sigh i feel like a pig... but i did manage to cut the grass or as us linguists might say...Mow de Lawn... ;D
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

zoony

« Reply #63 on: Jun 09, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »
If more people refused to accept the plastic/polystyrene trays and plastic bags it might go some way to ameliorating the damage done by such wrappings and packaging but...I always ask that my chips etc be paper wrapped and refuse the offered plastic carrier. I recently asked the chippy guy if anybody else did. "Nope" was the answer.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #64 on: Jun 09, 2018, 05:21:17 PM »
we all require re-educating, i hope they are starting in schools

zoony

« Reply #65 on: Jun 09, 2018, 09:45:25 PM »
Don't like the term 're-educating'. It brings to mind gulags or Chinese labour reform camps. Tell the 5/6 year olds how plastic is killing the world. I'm sure they're the most powerful weapon we have against adult's ignorance.

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #66 on: Jun 10, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »
hear hear, my friend has a six year old... my god when she sets her mind.... you wouldnt dare go against her... but the fine line can be a country mile.. if the teacher then gets her sarnies out of a plastic wrapped container... or a tupperware box... both plastic... one ok the other not