Author Topic: Brooke bond divi to the rescue....  (Read 584 times)

Floydian

Brooke bond divi to the rescue....
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
I remember once coming home from school and finding my mam in a bit of a panic. It was the early sixties, my dad worked shifts at the gpo (general post office) and he was due to go in "on nights" that evening and we'd no suitable food in for his packing up, and worse still no money to get any either. However, we had an escape route! We used to get brooke bond dividend tea. It came loose in quarter pound amounts in an oblong green paper package and cost about 1/6d. There was also a card inside, sometimes depicting an animal or bird or butterfly that you could collect. More important to us that day was the stamps that we used to save from the side of the package. If memory serves, they were orange and for whatever reason had a picture (i think) of a bee hive on them. You needed (again, i think) 60 of them and you got an instantly redeemable five bob! Mam sent me racing off to a shop a good half a mile away to get the official card to stick them in, i got back as fast as possible and we set to work sticking in the stamps. Yay! we had sixty of them! Talk about a "get out of jail free" card! Back to the shop i went with instructions to get a loaf (probably a "mothers pride") and either two ounces of boiled ham or roast pork. Phew, panic over! I also remember my dad taking an old glass sauce bottle with him with milk in it so he could "mash on" (tea) during his shift, no tea machines in those days!  :)
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

Raven

Re: Brooke bond divi to the rescue....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:53 PM »
I vaguely remember sticking stamps in a card for my mum, I'm sure some were Brooke bond. I know for certain most were green shield, we had oodles of the things, then of course everybody wanted something from the catalogue when they were due to get cashed in. That caused a few upsets with my sisters I can tell you. Lol.

Floydian

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 11:55:52 PM »
My sister used to smoke players no.6, you got a coupon with them that you could collect and exchange for stuff from their catalogue. I remember her getting a pink and white moulinex hairdryer once!
"Unbelievable, Jeff...."

GrannyMac

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
My parents smoked and mum saved Embassy coupons. We got a hairdryer, a mirror, and I seem to remember a set or two of towels.  People didn't constantly buy new household items in those days, anything extra felt like a luxury!
Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

R. Gervais