Author Topic: Windows live mail  (Read 521 times)

sparky

Windows live mail
« on: Jun 18, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
Is it just me, or do others find Windows Live Mail, rubbish, 50% of the time when I answer an email, it does not seem to get sent, in the options dropdown list, there is "Sent " and " Sent Items " whats the difference.

Scrumpy

Re: Windows live mail
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
Don’t get me started on blinkin’ email. I haven’t been able to receive any for over a week . I can send out but can’t pick up . I know there are messages in my inbox because it tells me so .
Also I think I need a new laptop. It is so slow ,by the time it all opens up I have gone out . And the letter Y has fallen OFF the keyboard.. I have tried to put it back but I think I have made it worse . Using ipad at the moment .
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

Traveller

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
I find that Microsoft Outlook is pretty dire, so I use Mozilla 'Thunderbird'.  It can open all your accounts without having to switch user ID.

You'll have had your tea.

fortyone

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:00:10 AM »
I sold my sole to Google and use Gmail which also allows you to consolidate multiple accounts.

zoony

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:00:30 AM »
Don’t get me started on blinkin’ email. I haven’t been able to receive any for over a week . I can send out but can’t pick up . I know there are messages in my inbox because it tells me so .
Also I think I need a new laptop. It is so slow ,by the time it all opens up I have gone out . And the letter Y has fallen OFF the keyboard.. I have tried to put it back but I think I have made it worse . Using ipad at the moment .

Why not buy a decent machine then?
"Listen to the wind, it cleans the mind."

"Never use money to measure wealth, son"

cowboy wisdom.

crabbyob

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
she would if some kind soul could nudge her toward the winner of the 3 o'clock
“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but as we are already here we may as well dance”

Scrumpy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »
I will buy a new one .. Just waiting for my Brooke Bond Divi stamps to add up ..
Everything will be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright, its not the end.

fortyone

« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
If lack of funds are the problem there are a couple of options but they do require some technical ability (or the ability to sweet talk somebody with some)

Presumably it was usable when bought so restoring back to the original factory settings will remove the built up unnecessary crud that folks install. That may well be quite easy actually depending on how the machine was set up.

Failing that installing a Linux build although that would probably be a bad move for a technophobe.

I use refurbs of what were high end machines. This is a Lenovo T430 with a solid state disk I bought on Windows for £175. I can see that the gits have installed a pirate version of Windows 10 but they did a good job of that as it has successfully gone through the April update and at least one monthly update since with no complaint from Microsoft.

Raven

« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »
I've used Yahoo since day one, most of the time I have no problem and it works fine.  :)

Michael Rolls

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »
I find that Microsoft Outlook is pretty dire, so I use Mozilla 'Thunderbird'.  It can open all your accounts without having to switch user ID.
Me too - Thunderbird also lets you download mail to your hard drive so you can get at even when not on the net. It covers my Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo accounts
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

prestbury

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
Me too - Thunderbird also lets you download mail to your hard drive so you can get at even when not on the net. It covers my Hotmail, Gmail and Yahoo accounts
Mike
I am not sure what problems people have had with Outlook. Mine does exactly as above, downloading email from multiple mail servers onto the hard drive, no switching of user ID except when sending mail. (Have to select which account)

Phil

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2018, 03:44:52 PM »
If lack of funds are the problem there are a couple of options but they do require some technical ability (or the ability to sweet talk somebody with some)

Presumably it was usable when bought so restoring back to the original factory settings will remove the built up unnecessary crud that folks install. That may well be quite easy actually depending on how the machine was set up.

Failing that installing a Linux build although that would probably be a bad move for a technophobe.

I use refurbs of what were high end machines. This is a Lenovo T430 with a solid state disk I bought on Windows for £175. I can see that the gits have installed a pirate version of Windows 10 but they did a good job of that as it has successfully gone through the April update and at least one monthly update since with no complaint from Microsoft.

Microsoft licences are strange.

A couple of years back I downloaded an ISO for Windows 7 Professional & paid £20 for a Windows 7 Professional key from a disused computer, on eBay.

The key didn't activate online but it was activated when I used the phone option.

I put Windows 7 Professional on three computers, all using the same key & all by using the phone activation.

Each computer then did the free Windows 10 Professional upgrade so I now have three computers all dual-booting with Windows 7 Pro & Windows 10 Pro.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

JCBDriver

« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2018, 05:02:33 PM »
I gave up on Microsoft when W10 upgrade totally screwed up.

All my machines now run Linux in various flavors, this one is Mint. 

The update manager leaves Microsoft standing!

Phil

Re: Windows Live Mail.
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »
I gave up on Microsoft when W10 upgrade totally screwed up.

All my machines now run Linux in various flavors, this one is Mint. 

The update manager leaves Microsoft standing!

I wasn't a fan of Windows 10 when it first came out, mainly because I couldn't see the point in all the gimmicks, but I've never had any real 'screw-up 'issues with it.

I did run Linux Mint for a while.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

fortyone

« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2018, 11:12:54 PM »
I took Windows 10 as soon as it was generally a free upgrade (rather than being an early adopter). I've had it on every machine since with no major problems although new major updates do need a manual install on the "tablet with a keyboard" low end laptops with only a 32GB SSD disk. You get the odd issue with options you've turned off getting mysteriously reinstated. I use a program called OOSU10 to turn off all the damned spying options built in by Microsoft and keep them turned off.