Author Topic: New camera  (Read 1352 times)

Deakin

New camera
« on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
I'm going on a cruise and will need a new camera, I just want a point and shoot one but can't get out to have a look so have been researching online.  They all seem to be the same size and a bit bulky, and I don't suppose I'll get any use out of it after I get home.  I take all my home photos now with my iPad and thought of a new mini iPad but my son thinks them too expensive and says I'd be better with a camera.....  I heard Simon King on Countryfile saying that you get a good pic with a phone camera and some of mine taken with my old smartphone are quite good so I've been looking at those as my phone does need replacing.  But just don't know what to look for even though I've read all the reviews ???

So I thought I'd ask for opinions please  :-\
The world is but a canvas to our imagination (Albert Einstein)

Michael Rolls

Re: New camera
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Depends on how critical you are over picture quality. In this day and age a recent I-phone or the equivalent is perfectly adequate for most purposes, but they lack the flexibility of a decent SLR with wide angle and telephoto lenses - but do you need that much flexibility? A phone weighs practically nothing and takes up very little space. The SLR and its accessories is quite the opposite.
Also - worked properly photos on a phone can be instantly saved to the cloud or e-mailed to your home - so even if the phone is lost, stolen or strayed you haven't lost what you have already acquired. You CAN achieve this with a discrete camera, of course, but it is another process to go through.
One thing to bear in mind - it is much more difficult to hol a phone steady than it is a 'proper' camera shaped device - and it is more difficult to use in bright sunlight - difficult to see what you have on the screen.
Frankly, if it were me, and it was a once in a life time opportunity, I would take TWO decent cameras - but I don't know your situation regarding luggage etc.. On the other hand, if it is a run of the mill holiday I would probably be happy with a decent camera phone unless I was expecting photo opportunities that needed the flexibility of a 'proper' camera with accessories.
Hope that helps
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Deakin

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
Thank you, you've given me something to think about.  I can't be bothered with all the messing about with settings on a phone so I always had my old one on automatic, which suited me.  I did like that camera but it was heavy and used 4 AA batteries that didn't last long. I recently went to see the Terracotta Warriors in Liverpool and took loads of decent shots with my old Nexus phone, but I'll be taking most pictures in the Fjords so mainly outdoors in all weathers so maybe a camera would be better....

Phil

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
Thank you, you've given me something to think about.  I can't be bothered with all the messing about with settings on a phone so I always had my old one on automatic, which suited me.  I did like that camera but it was heavy and used 4 AA batteries that didn't last long. I recently went to see the Terracotta Warriors in Liverpool and took loads of decent shots with my old Nexus phone, but I'll be taking most pictures in the Fjords so mainly outdoors in all weathers so maybe a camera would be better....

What sort of music do they play & were they at the Cavern Club?
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Coastal

« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2018, 10:52:13 PM »
If you have a look at Argos Currys/Pc World and Amazon, one will have what you need, if you use Amazon it's safer and easier if you get one direct from Amazon and not Amazon Marketplace (bought through Amazon but supplied by another company)
I think you are better off with a well known make (Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Canon, Nikon) there is plenty of choice (under £100) if you search: compact cameras
And don't forget you will need at least one memory card (depending on the capacity)
Also check re batteries, if it's a special battery that's supplied you may have to take the charger with you, if it's a couple of "aa" type you can just buy when needed.
Hell hath no fury like a woman .......

GrumpyOldFart

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2018, 10:55:47 PM »
....loads of decent shots with my old Nexus phone

The Nexus was an Android phone and if as you say it needs replacing then the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus would be a good choice. It's an Android phone and has what is generally regarded as the best camera on a smart phone at the moment.

Phil

Re: New Camera.
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2018, 07:06:45 AM »

The Nexus was an Android phone and if as you say it needs replacing then the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus would be a good choice. It's an Android phone and has what is generally regarded as the best camera on a smart phone at the moment.

Well it was until Huawei launched the P20.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Deakin

« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks for replies.  At the moment I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 and my son's looking at the Canon Powershot SX730 which he'll contribute a bit to. 

It does look a nice camera and would be ideal for shots of the Fjords so I may just go for that.  I have an old SanDisk 256MB compact flash disk, would this be compatible with the Canon or would I need to buy a different disk?

Phil

Re: New Camera.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
Thanks for replies.  At the moment I'm looking at the Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 and my son's looking at the Canon Powershot SX730 which he'll contribute a bit to. 

It does look a nice camera and would be ideal for shots of the Fjords so I may just go for that.  I have an old SanDisk 256MB compact flash disk, would this be compatible with the Canon or would I need to buy a different disk?

I think you'll need a different storage card.

Any of these will do SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS Speed Class 1 compatible)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/258-8144583-3293740?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=SD%2C+SDHC%2C+SDXC+%28UHS+Speed+Class+1+compatible%29

P.S. They are available from other sellers.

;D

fortyone

« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2018, 12:12:54 PM »

Phil beat me to it.

The specs of the Canon say..
Memory Card
Type
SD, SDHC, SDXC (UHS Speed Class 1 compatible)

Compact flash is pretty old and won't fit. In any case 256MB won't hold many pictures at the sort of size modern cameras store them.

Deakin

« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »
Thanks for that and the links.  Looks like I will go for that camera and maybe upgrade my phone next year