Author Topic: Any Genealogists?  (Read 750 times)

Michael Rolls

Any Genealogists?
« on: Jun 21, 2018, 12:31:33 PM »
Something that I do not understand. A good while back I downloaded a table which identified what a relationship such as ‘3rd cousin once removed’ actually meant in terms of family members. However, using the table recently I was very puzzled by its findings. For example, it says if two people share a grandparent, then they are first cousins – and I have a number of such cousins. However, my late brother and I obviously share grandparents, yet we are, again obviously, siblings. Similarly, my brother’s sons' great-grandparent is my grandparent, which according to the table makes them my first cousins, once removed – but they are my nephews. I suppose whoever drew up the table either expected it to be applied with common sense, or is it a case that, for example Vernon (my brother) and I really are, in genealogical terms both siblings and first cousins?
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me.
The older I get, the better I was!

Phil

Re: Any Genealogists?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
Once you let genealogy out of the bottle you can't put it back.

But apart from that I don't know much about the subject.

I once heard someone ask what was the difference between a genealogist & a gynaecologist & the answer, apparently, is that one looks up the family tree & the other looks up the family bush.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Paraphrased from George Carlin

Michael Rolls

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Phil

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
However, I do hope you get a sensible answer from other members who may have an interest in the subject.
"I've stopped arguing with idiots. They will only bring me down to their level and beat me with experience.”

Johned

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:24:13 PM »
Genealogy interests me up to a point.  You can research names, dates and how you are related.  Unless I feel you have a picture and know a few facts about the person or whether he/she was a nice individual or not; there is not a lot of point to the exercise.

firenze

« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2018, 01:57:08 PM »
I went to Oxford ;D yes I did! In the break time of the college I attended a seminar of Family Historians.  In itself it was fascinating, but to meet attendees from all over the world was an education in itself.
     I had pottered through f.h. At evening classes first just for interest, then became hooked.  I found my own line different to what I believed and the time was not wasted. Public Records Offices were my no.1 for a while. 
Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Mark Twain.

fortyone

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2018, 03:24:38 PM »
Now how did I predict on seeing the thread title we'd see something from Phil about gynaecology.....

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »

I did a great deal of work, mainly on my maternal grandfathers family, taking it back to 1650.  I got the greatest help from other members of the family I came across in various parts of the world.

Perhaps a link to the table would helps someone work out why it reads so oddly.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2018, 06:52:17 AM »
I did a great deal of work, mainly on my maternal grandfathers family, taking it back to 1650.  I got the greatest help from other members of the family I came across in various parts of the world.

Perhaps a link to the table would helps someone work out why it reads so oddly.
would if I could, but I downloaded it years ago and no idea from where after the passage of time.
Mike

Phil

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
Something that I do not understand. A good while back I downloaded a table which identified what a relationship such as ‘3rd cousin once removed’ actually meant in terms of family members. However, using the table recently I was very puzzled by its findings. For example, it says if two people share a grandparent, then they are first cousins – and I have a number of such cousins. However, my late brother and I obviously share grandparents, yet we are, again obviously, siblings. Similarly, my brother’s sons' great-grandparent is my grandparent, which according to the table makes them my first cousins, once removed – but they are my nephews. I suppose whoever drew up the table either expected it to be applied with common sense, or is it a case that, for example Vernon (my brother) and I really are, in genealogical terms both siblings and first cousins?
Mike

I wish my wife's family tree would show her mother as removed.

Michael Rolls

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
I wish my wife's family tree would show her mother as removed.
;D ;D ;D ;D
Joking apart, I have now found a better chart which accepts siblings etc for what they are without any of the ambiguity of the previous chart
Mike

https://lifehacker.com/second-cousins-once-removed-and-more-explained-in-1661572056

Undercover Pensioner

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2018, 09:18:18 AM »
That is good news.  One error and you end up doubting the whole thing so better to have one you rely on.  Good luck with your sleuthing.
The vote for Brexit was a vote to take back what we hadn't lost in order to lose what we actually have.